What treat did your chickies get today?

Mine got left over quinoa and bananas...and my kids and I picked a giant bucket full of fresh grass for them.

2764.png

My chickens don't like pomegranates.  I tried leaving a half on the ground for them and got no reaction.  So then I tried scattering the seeds and they would pick them up, but then drop them.  Sigh.  

Mine only left a few hard-to-get arils. Probably the benefits of introducing them to a lot of new foods while they're still growing. They're only 6 weeks old, but I've been giving them something new as a treat every day since they were a week.

Today I introduced them to fermented chick starter, so no treats. At first they made the "sucking lemon" face when they got a bite, but by the end of the day they had abandoned their dry crumbles entirely in favor of the FF.

Mine only left a few hard-to-get arils. Probably the benefits of introducing them to a lot of new foods while they're still growing. They're only 6 weeks old, but I've been giving them something new as a treat every day since they were a week.

Today I introduced them to fermented chick starter, so no treats. At first they made the "sucking lemon" face when they got a bite, but by the end of the day they had abandoned their dry crumbles entirely in favor of the FF.

I've yet to try fermented feed, but it's on my list of to-dos. A month or so ago I started sprouting wheat and barley. They love it, plus it's a good thing to have in the winter months when young tender grass is hard to come by.

I've yet to try fermented feed, but it's on my list of to-dos.  A month or so ago I started sprouting wheat and barley.  They love it, plus it's a good thing to have in the winter months when young tender grass is hard to come by.

I gave the chicks some oat fodder that I grew as a boredom buster. They loved picking it apart strand-by-strand at first, and then they ate it. I will probably grow it for them again a few more times before the spring greenery starts coming up. The FF is a lot easier to do than fodder though!

I gave the chicks some oat fodder that I grew as a boredom buster. They loved picking it apart strand-by-strand at first, and then they ate it. I will probably grow it for them again a few more times before the spring greenery starts coming up. The FF is a lot easier to do than fodder though!

I'm going to give a try next week. I need to find a suitable container first.

I use Scratch and Peck feed, which is seedy. I do have some leftover layer crumbles, though, that I was thinking of trying to ferment. Do you think I could ferment that successfully or should I stick with the Scratch and Peck feed?

I put the chick crumbles in a food safe bucket, added a glug or two of Bragg's ACV and some water to cover. It was bubbling so much 24 hours later that I could hear it from across the room! I think there would be no problem with the pellets. You could even mix the two together if you like. I added some seeds to my second pail (sunflower meats, amaranth, and flax) and it seems to be going strong too.

I put the chick crumbles in a food safe bucket, added a glug or two of Bragg's ACV and some water to cover. It was bubbling so much 24 hours later that I could hear it from across the room! I think there would be no problem with the pellets. You could even mix the two together if you like. I added some seeds to my second pail (sunflower meats, amaranth, and flax) and it seems to be going strong too.

Oh, great. Thanks for the information. I'm starting my batch tomorrow.

Mine had boiled eggs and frozen peas cooked this morning. This afternoon they got a head of leaf lettuce then this evening they got a can of corn and two handsful of dried meal worms. They were still begging at the back door for more.

Today ours got a few crumbled whole wheat bread heels - a big container of organic spinach and arugula, some bananas and apple scraps (minus the seeds)

Hubby also moved a giant piece of wood and the kids collected a centipede and several other bugs for them...yummmmmm-o!!
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom