What treat did your chickies get today?

My chickens don't touch carrots either, even if I shred them.

I nevery tried shredded but i even tried breaking them into bite size pieces but no go

If shredded doesn't work you can boil them and mash them like mashed potatoes... A lot of hassle but if you have the time and don't mind... I have done this in my turkey fryer when I have a lot of carrots to give them as it's less work then shredding say 50lbs of carrots ;)

If shredded doesn't work you can boil them and mash them like mashed potatoes... A lot of hassle but if you have the time and don't mind... I have done this in my turkey fryer when I have a lot of carrots to give them as it's less work then shredding say 50lbs of carrots ;)

Wow I never thought of that! That's a good idea!

Ditto on the carrots. I've heard that chickens don't have taste buds, but there's just some things the little ground buzzards won't eat.

Ditto on the carrots. I've heard that chickens don't have taste buds, but there's just some things the little ground buzzards won't eat.

:yuckyuck exactly!!! Mine have very specific tastes.

They have taste buds just not nearly as many as we do...

That makes sense.

Mine wouldn't touch the carrotd but devoured broccoli once I left and they figured out what it was. Same with apple. Apple they have had but only chopped up. This was halves. Some devoured it, others didn't know what to do. But i ame back to skins kicked out of the run with beak pecks all over them lol

The carrots I feed are cooked. I doubt they would eat a raw one, but I could be wrong. Flossy, one of my pullets will eat anything, and I do mean anything. I think she's part goat.

I serve them their breakfast on a plate and flossy stands in the middle of it while everyone else has enough manners to stand off the plate and just grab what they like from the buffet. I think my roosters were disappointed we had no carrots today. But we did have scrambled eggs to add, so there was no left overs.

Something else I've found my chickens enjoy is deer forage I bought at TSC. I grow the seeds out a bit, it's oats, canola, raddish, rye and probably other stuff, but when it's a few inches high I let the birds graze. They all love it, chickens, budgies and cockatiels, even the quail. They can eat it faster than I can grow it, and if the planters are not covered the young chickens will hop up on the planting table and eat the seeds too :( They are very partial to the oat seeds.

If shredded doesn't work you can boil them and mash them like mashed potatoes... A lot of hassle but if you have the time and don't mind... I have done this in my turkey fryer when I have a lot of carrots to give them as it's less work then shredding say 50lbs of carrots
wink.png

Oh gosh, for my four little girls that's just too much trouble, but thanks for the idea. There are so many other things they like that there is never a shortage of treats.

The carrots I feed are cooked.  I doubt they would eat a raw one, but I could be wrong.  Flossy, one of my pullets will eat anything, and I do mean anything.  I think she's part goat. 

I serve them their breakfast on a plate and flossy stands in the middle of it while everyone else has enough manners to stand off the plate and just grab what they like from the buffet.  I think my roosters were disappointed we had no carrots today.  But we did have scrambled eggs to add, so there was no left overs.

Something else I've found my chickens enjoy is deer forage I bought at TSC.  I grow the seeds out a bit, it's oats, canola, raddish, rye and probably other stuff, but when it's a few inches high I let the birds graze.  They all love it, chickens, budgies and cockatiels, even the quail.  They can eat it faster than I can grow it, and if the planters are not covered the young chickens will hop up on the planting table and eat the seeds too :(  They are very partial to the oat seeds.

That's a really good idea! Mine were raw so maybe that's why

Oh gosh, for my four little girls that's just too much trouble, but thanks for the idea.  There are so many other things they like that there is never a shortage of treats.

Same except i have 8

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom