What treat did your chickies get today?

A few day old loafs of Hawaiian bread, about a dozen loafs of other day old misc breads, 3 dozen unfrosted day old cupcakes, about a bushel of fresh broccoli tops, about 10 pounds of mushroom caps and maybe a 5 gallon bucket of misc chopped salad greens and spinach...

I also have about 30lbs of bananas to peel for them but that will have to wait until tomorrow...

Holy frijoles! How many birds do you have????

You must own a grocery store.

Currently somewhere plus or minus 100 birds as a guess...

All my 'day old' food is free from a local grocery store under an arrangement I made with them to haul some away every day and put some to use... They are just going to toss it in the dumpster anyway as it's no longer salable to the public, so they are happy to see some go to use...

Most big grocery chains won't accommodate you but I highly encourage people to contact the smaller independent grocery stores, and be proactive by typing up a 'not for human consumption' agreement... About 40% of the food in the US goes to waste, and trust me a lot of that 40% can be found in dumpsters (usually compactors now) behind grocery stores, especially produce where the stores only sell the perfect looking fruits and vegetables, or breads that have short self lives...

Last edited:
Currently somewhere plus or minus 100 birds as a guess...

All my 'day old' food is free from a local grocery store under an arrangement I made with them to haul some away every day and put some to use... They are just going to toss it in the dumpster anyway as it's no longer salable to the public, so they are happy to see some go to use...

Most big grocery chains won't accommodate you but I highly encourage people to contact the smaller independent grocery stores, and be proactive by typing up a 'not for human consumption' agreement... About 40% of the food in the US goes to waste, and trust me a lot of that 40% can be found in dumpsters (usually compactors now) behind grocery stores, especially produce where the stores only sell the perfect looking fruits and vegetables, or breads that have short self lives...

Meepbeep,

I have to thank you! I had the nerve to ask I the produce department for veggies. The best time is when they are stocking new produce. I was happy to get 7 bunches of organic kale. Perfectly good.... Couldn't believe they were going to pitch it. Also got a less than perfect bunch of cilantro and red cabbage leaves. Amazing! My girls will be so happy.

Sad to see such waste though.

Mixed leaf lettuce, tomato and grated Devon which they love because, being grated, it looks like worms.

[As 'Devon' may be specific to Australia and New Zealand, thought I had better explain that it is a manufactured meat product for sandwiches and comes in large sausage-form, off which you can cut a small chunk and grate]

I have to thank you! I had the nerve to ask I the produce department for veggies. The best time is when they are stocking new produce. I was happy to get 7 bunches of organic kale. Perfectly good.... Couldn't believe they were going to pitch it. Also got a less than perfect bunch of cilantro and red cabbage leaves. Amazing! My girls will be so happy.

Sad to see such waste though.

Don't stop there, lots to be found if you ask... I just shake my head at the waste everyday that I see... When it comes to the bunches of greens like you just got, from my experience it's normal for most stores to simply toss all of last weeks leftovers when the new shipment comes in, doesn't matter if the old stuff is still perfect they rotate it out for the fresh new stuff.... I have picked up complete unopened boxes of kale bundles more than once, same with other veggies... Same happens with bananas they rotate them out when new ones come in or at the first sign they have a brown spot... And don't get me started on all the 'prepared' salad and lettuce stuff or anything else in a bag that is dated...

Lettuce, potato, peas, carrots, corn and hamburger mince. By this afternoon I guarantee that all of the lettuce and hamburger mince will be gone, there will be some of the corn remaining and all of the potato, peas and carrots … I live in hope that one day they might surprise me
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom