What type of bedding???

Quote:
Please be very careful with that! Other BYC'ers have lost chicks/chickens due to them climbing inside feeders and getting suffocated on the bottom of the pile.

How can I prevent that? My chicks aren't flying yet, but when do, I'm afraid that they might die like you said.

Is your feeder open at the top like the one cloudswinger described? If so, and depending on the way the feeder was made, you should be able to cut a piece of plastic (like the lid from a margarine bowl) to fit.
It's really not a problem with the long trough feeders like the one mlmadura has pictured in this thread. It's the ones that have long hoppers or bins where you pour the feed in from the top that you need to cover.

Last edited:
Are we talking the feeders that are designed to have a quart jar screwed onto them? If your using the feeder I think you are, they don't have to fly to reach the top, they can just climb up there. I tape a piece of cardboard cut to fit the hole. Then they can't get in. Another solution is to use the jar. They also make them without the hole on top, though I have only seen them in aluminum.

If we are talking about a different type of feeder and I have misunderstood, I apologize.
smile.png

Quote:
How can I prevent that? My chicks aren't flying yet, but when do, I'm afraid that they might die like you said.

Is your feeder open at the top like the one cloudswinger described? If so, and depending on the way the feeder was made, you should be able to cut a piece of plastic (like the lid from a margarine bowl) to fit.
It's really not a problem with the long trough feeders like the one mlmadura has pictured in this thread. It's the ones that have long hoppers or bins where you pour the feed in from the top that you need to cover.

my feeder has two rather large holes on the top.

That's a lot different than my hanging feeders. Mine have one large hole at the top, but they are the larger feeders for the big birds
smile.png

I use the small feeders that are made for use with a jar for a "hopper" but I don't use a jar, just cover the top so no one sits in there and poos all over the feed or gets stuck inside it.

Quote:
Ah, yes. I've seen those type of feeders at the co-op. That type of feeder would actually not be a problem for a full grown chicken, the holes are too small. Again, sacrifice the lid off of a large tub of margarine or cool-whip or whatever is big enough. Cut some pieces to cover the holes. Like cut two half moons, one for each side of the handle and use some duct tape to tape it down on the inside (towards the handle). That should allow you to lift the piece of plastic to fill the feeder.
Actually I remember reading just recently about a BYC member that lost two half grown chickens in a hopper style feeder. The solution was simple, cover the hole.

The bedding I use for my chicks is like a cedar or pine pellet of some kind.You can get it at Tractor Supply for $5 a bag and it's in the rabbit supply.It's biodegradable and non toxic.After it gets soiled it turns into a powder.AWESOME stuff!! It lasts for a super long time so no more constint cleaning.It keeps odors down to.I just love it!
Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom