What type of behavior is this? (Photos)

MrsKroo

Songster
Jan 12, 2021
New Bern , NC
I have two Orpingtons about 8 months old and about two months ago I introduced three Serama chickens.
The seramas are about 12 weeks old now. I have two cockerels and one pullet.
One of my Orpington gets really puffy when I bring the seramas outside to spend sometime in the walk in run.
She can see them clearly but can’t get to them. She makes a squawking noise and puffs up. Specially when she sees the biggest cockerel.
What type of behavior is this? Anyone can give some idea of what’s going through her head?
F985C000-2720-4F3D-B19C-7E88BF467070.jpeg
46499652-FA50-4F7C-892C-B1DB6F4E0ECF.jpeg

My broody hen did something similar- she tried to fight with a hen through the wire that was above her in the pecking order.

Last edited:
I don’t know if she’s broody or not, but my black australorp hen did this once when she snuck past me and got into the quarantine pen. I bought two GLWs that were the same age and as soon as she saw them, she puffed up just like that and tried fighting them. A lot of the time I think it’s a territorial thing, because she’s high up in the pecking order and my GLWs were newcomers in ‘her’ territory. She wasn’t broody at the time and never has been yet.

I have two Orpingtons about 8 months old and about two months ago I introduced three Serama chickens.
The seramas are about 12 weeks old now. I have two cockerels and one pullet.
One of my Orpington gets really puffy when I bring the seramas outside to spend sometime in the walk in run.
She can see them clearly but can’t get to them. She makes a squawking noise and puffs up. Specially when she sees the biggest cockerel.
What type of behavior is this? Anyone can give some idea of what’s going through her head? View attachment 2655394View attachment 2655395
Ms Sumo tries to scare him (the nasty little bugger) off. :cool:

Wow! I have never seen that before! has she been broody recently, or has chicks? Is she living alone?
She has never been broody. She is 8 months old and started laying about 2 months ago. She lives with her sister and now we have two more pullets and three seramas we are introducing to the flock. She started behaving like this after the cockerels got older, they are now 12 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom