What type of bush can I put in the run? UPDATE!!!

Quote:
No. THe flesh of the berries is the only NONpoisonous part of the yew. The seed within is poisonous to mammals in some quantity, but basically harmless to birds.

Areyoumymother -- you can certainly plant roses or raspberries in/near the run, but expect the chickens to do a job on 'em
wink.png

Pat

Thanks Pat ! I'm going to try both, my plan is to plant just outside the chainlink so hopefully they will/can eat whats on their side and I can enjoy what grows on the outside.

I have been looking into Concord Grape bulbs online- seems now's the time to buy! They are on sale! Buy quick though, they are selling out. Anyone else have experience with these wonderous vines? They seem too good to be true.

I got this idea from the lady we bought the chickens from. Once a week we get a huge head of cabbage, drill a hole into it, (all the way) then hang it up. The girls love pecking at it and eat all of it within a few days.

Another thing I do is to take windowbox planter trays, (the bottom trays) fill them with dirt and plant rye seed I get from home depot. I heard you can use any type of fast, fill in, type of grass seed. I usually plant 6 then in a few days I plant 6 more. When they grow nice and lush I offer a tray a day. They love their treat and eat all of it!

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
nice looking coop

Thanks guys! It's now my brooder. Got a new one with a unique design... Same bushes though
smile.png

Quote:
Have you tried Concord grapes or other types of grapes? You can plant them by the fence and once they take, they will grow like weeds and cover the run. Nice shade for our summers. I am thinking of doing that. We had a couple grape vines over out fish pond and it was great shade in the summer.

Can you keep them under control so they climb but don't totally take over? This sounds like a really cool option!

I like that idea too - I have a couple of grape vines growing already - now will have to get a couple for by the coop... i wont mind if they take over - i prefer to let plants just do what they want anyway lol

Quote:
Can you keep them under control so they climb but don't totally take over? This sounds like a really cool option!

I like that idea too - I have a couple of grape vines growing already - now will have to get a couple for by the coop... i wont mind if they take over - i prefer to let plants just do what they want anyway lol

Do you have a Menards near by? Right now they have "grapes" for $3! Doesn't say what kind, just "grape"... for $3 and the run, I will take my chances!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom