What type of chicken is this??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by forensicsarefun, Sep 30, 2016.

1. forensicsarefun

forensicsarefun New Egg

Sep 30, 2016
    We ordered 25 new chickens a few months ago, and we were supposed to get 10 Buff Orpingtons, 10 Australorps, and 5 Ameruacanas, but we only got 3 Ameruacanas, and 2 of these mystery chickens. Any ideas on what kind they might be?
    [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

That is an Easter Egger cockerel - he's just beardless. Easter Eggers are commonly missold as true Ameraucanas but they are not in any way the same breed. I imagine all five of yours are Easter Eggers.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    EE cockerel

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Yep, that is one of your "Ameraucana", really an Easter egger. It's a male, and beardless. Kind of unusual coloring and shape, makes me wonder what they're mixing in the EE breeding pens these days [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    mixed breed

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

With the flightiness I've been seeing the past 3 years or so, I'd bet somebody's throwing Leghorns in. My 2012/2013 EEs and prior were all docile as could be... 2014 onward they've been perfectly psychotic in temperament (with exceptions, of course).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  7. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I agree that it's an EE roo but it looks like some sort of mix between a rumpless Araucana and a silver laced Wyandotte to me, although undoubtedly not as straightforward as a hybrid of those two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by