what type of comb is this?

eclectic-em

Songster
Jan 26, 2021
Idaho
he’s 18 months old and from a “mystery egg”

since he was a cockerel it seemed like/ people said it was a cushion comb but now i’m not really sure when i compare pictures online. he came from a green egg and that’s all i know so assuming there’s a pea comb gene somewhere.

(if he looks sad in the bathroom pictures it’s because he is. he knows he’s getting his bumblefoot treated)
46228040-7E5C-43B4-BD4A-9D92C3F49AEF.jpeg

D7466DB3-6746-4608-A1B0-E3768AADAC0F.jpeg

8B8E5382-0015-44D9-A8CB-95D4F3366292.jpeg

7C119132-D7B8-4725-AC10-80D3A65E6173.jpeg

3E4CFC31-ED33-4F90-A64D-7411B0152C88.jpeg

Attachments

• A7236022-24A6-4871-B855-0B69657E4FCF.jpeg
    A7236022-24A6-4871-B855-0B69657E4FCF.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 2
my pet chicken dot com lol and no definitely just a mix or some leftover type egg like the whoops don’t know who laid/fertilized it.
When I look up comb types nothing looks like his comb. He is a mixed breed. Were you the one that bought the eggs from MPC and hatched them? I don't even think MPC sell mixed breeds. I was looking at MPC and couldn't find mystery eggs.

When I look up comb types nothing looks like his comb. He is a mixed breed. Were you the one that bought the eggs from MPC and hatched them? I don't even think MPC sell mixed breeds. I was looking at MPC and couldn't find mystery eggs.
yes it was a discounted add on basically. i assumed he was an EE (which by definition he is i guess but just doesn’t have a pea comb) but i seriously cannot figure out what the heck he might mixed with. he’s a handsome and very unique boy.

Did you order from the intense egg color assortment and add 3 mystery eggs? I scrolled a bit down the page and found this.->

Like a good mystery?
If you're up to some Super Sleuthing, order some "Mystery Eggs" and see if you can guess what birds you've received. The color of the hatching egg may provide a clue but you'll need to wait until the chick hatches to see if you're even half right -- the possibilities are almost endless. At $13.95 for (3) Mystery Eggs, it is a great deal, too. So order some Mystery Eggs...make some observations...consider the possibilities...and see if you can crack the code. These Mystery Eggs may hatch large fowl, bantams, known breeds and unknown breeds.

What's a modified pea comb? I've heard of it before but I don't know what it is.
It's when a chicken has stronger genes for a pea comb but other comb types in its blood line, so it's not a pure pea comb. Looks to me like a pea comb and maybe some wyandotte for a rose comb. But hatchery ees are mixes of mixes so...

Did you order from the intense egg color assortment and add 3 mystery eggs? I scrolled a bit down the page and found this.->

Like a good mystery?
If you're up to some Super Sleuthing, order some "Mystery Eggs" and see if you can guess what birds you've received. The color of the hatching egg may provide a clue but you'll need to wait until the chick hatches to see if you're even half right -- the possibilities are almost endless. At $13.95 for (3) Mystery Eggs, it is a great deal, too. So order some Mystery Eggs...make some observations...consider the possibilities...and see if you can crack the code. These Mystery Eggs may hatch large fowl, bantams, known breeds and unknown breeds.
yeah that’s the one! although it was an add on to a “super friendly assortment” or something. my first time incubating and only he hatched (1 of 10). he’s definitely unknown. i’ve been going mad trying to figure it out. i wish they did dna parentage tests for chickens the way they do for pigeons.
8B01FBFD-D2D0-4BCB-81EE-2ABF1DCBFBBA.jpeg

that’s an old picture i don’t have many new full body ones. he’s starting to molt and now his new feathers are coming in with black dots at the tips. the mystery gets even more mysterious!!

Back
Top Bottom