What type of dog?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by salunra, Nov 24, 2010.

1. salunra

salunra Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Cincinnati
    We are looking to get some chicks in the spring. We also have a large iguana, cats and 2 small boys. My husband would like to get a dog. He does not like us being so far out in the country without a little bit of protection.

While I know all dogs are individuals, and all puppies need a lot of working with.... what breeds of dogs can you think of that won't bother the smaller animals, be good with the kids, and keep an eye out for strangers?

Thanks!

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Lab or golden retriever. Some mutts may bee wonderful, but of course you won't know until you get and live with the dog.

3. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    well any dog will keep an eye out for strangers... the question is do you want the dog to bark at or eat the stranger! lol

We have two shepherds (both rescues) a border collie and an american cocker.

Everyone barks
    The border collie would be the one to eat the stranger before the shepherds
    Both shepherds would eat your cats and chickens and likely try for the iguana
    The american cocker would lick and pounce on everyone...
    Everyone is great with kinds (now that the collie is over 2)... but he would still try and herd them which might not be a bad thing.

I am sure that these boys (my dogs are all male) if raised from puppies would probably not try and eat the cats and lizard.... there is an internet search tool which helps to match up breeds to owners and their lifestyle... do some searchs for it and good luck. Puppies need much patience and lots of training!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  4. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    There are many more breeds of dogs than the average person even considers. Experiences are varying, even in the same breed, because the personalities of the PEOPLE is just as important as the dog. Upkeep is also a consideration, as some breeds require more grooming (and possibly clipping), where as, other breeds are pretty self-sustaining. Addionally, some breeds have more health risks factors than others.

If you are starting from square one, I'd suggest you peruse the AKC breed site http://www.akc.org/breeds/complete_breed_list.cfm or something similar and come up with some breeds that interest you and then inquire more specifically about those individuals. That is how I discovered Belgian Sheepdogs and Belgian Tervuren when I was just twelve years old (more than 4 decades ago). I eventually purchased my first Belgian Sheepdog at age 16 and have continued to own them (though changed to the Belgian Tervuren) throughout my lifetime. I later added Pembroke Welsh Corgi and have never been disappointed in my choices. They fit my lifestyle and my personality.

5. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Probably the best breed is what will fit best with your family. Starting as a puppy, most breeds (not all, but most), can be taught to respect your animals.

Here is a quiz that may help. There are others online, you just have to do a search:

http://www.selectsmart.com/dog/

6. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    I have german shorthaired pointers. They are excellent family dogs, don't spend alot of time barking but will bark if something isn't "right", and do very well around my chickens and goats. Understand any dog needs to be properly "aquainted" to any animal. GSP's are very smart and although I use them to hunt pheasants and quail, they are completely uninterested in the chickens. They actually walk amongst them without issues. They also spend time in my goat pens, even in with does with kids...just have to be carefully exposed initially. Once one of your dogs is "trained" all will follow his/her lead and you should never have to train a puppy again....JMO

7. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    quite right to the comments on the owners... they will make or break a dog.

8. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Any dog that is well trained.
    There is always going to be someone that says a certain breed is great and another that will disagree.
    I have German Shepherds. I trust the adults that are trained but I do not trust my 6 month old puppy at all. He needs more training and proofing before I will trust him. Yes he is good around them now but he is still a PUPPY.

9. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    It depends on how much you are used to dogs and training and caring for them.

If not so familiar or experienced, avoid the high energy, very sharp, big working types that tend to be a lot of dog to handle. Most of the breeds mentioned so far - LOL. 'Out in the country' isn't a good place to turn a dog loose to 'give him some exercise' if he is a sharper more energetic type - dogs in rural need fences or something to keep them from wandering.

Another thing to look at is the dog's coat. A long haired - well - even some of the thicker coated short haired dogs - well - let's just say - ALL DOGS SHED to some extent. If you're fussy about house keeping, stick to a dog that sheds less and has shorter, less thick fur. Some people feel the 'groomed breeds' (like the Poodles and others that get clipped by a groomer) 'don't shed'.

Another thing to think of is size. A big dog eats more, tends to happily knock over knick knacks every time he wags his tail(your decorating habits will veer away from those low coffee tables pretty quick), and can rather inintentionally knock over little children - they can be especially goofy when they're puppies, and tend to have a long adolescence. A big dog seems so appealing and so good at protecting the family, but the fact is that just about any dog will let you know when things aren't quite right on the property, a dog doesn't have to be big to be a very useful family member. Big dogs eat more, they need more room in the car, they are deucedly difficult to pick up and get to the car to the vet when they're hurt, and they need more of everything - grooming, bathing, etc.

I'm assuming the dog will be in the house so fur, size etc is an issue - but too, it won't be tuned into protecting you if it isn't in the house - it will just bark at every bird and cat that passes by if it's sitting tied up outdoors with nothing else to do.

For smaller, not too intense-to-groom dogs, you might consider a Cairn Terrier, Border Terrier, a Havanese, Norfolk or Norwich Terrier, or a Clumber Spaniel. There are many much smaller dogs, too. Of the terriers, the Cairn and Border tend to be more mellow and less 'terrier-ish'.

For a really interesting family and farm dog that is protective and active, you might consider a German Pinscher. They're active and good watch dogs, with a temperament much like a Doberman, but smaller, about 17-20 inches, and still have the same short coat. I just saw one and the owner is over the moon about this dog.

The most popular and therefore easiest to get breeds in Cincinnatti, are Labrador Retriever, German Shepherd Dog, Golden Retriever, Yorkshire Terrier, and Boxer (in order from 1-5).

There's nothing bad about cross bred dogs or 'mutts', though it's harder to predict what sort of temperament and size they will have. Still, many people are confident they can train their dog and work with whatever temperament it has.

For those who want to help the community and help a dog, a rescue dog might be a good answer. Most breed clubs run rescues for unwanted dogs of their breed. It can be a great way to get a great dog. Then there are the humane societies and general rescue organizations that are doing their best to find new homes for all different breeds.

Here's the popularity list by AKC registrations (numbers are ranking for 2009 and then 2008) - less popular breeds aren't necessarily bad, but they can be harder to find and more costly

Retrievers (Lab) 1 1
    Yorkshire Terriers 2 2
    German Shepherd Dogs 3 5
    Dachshunds 4 3
    Shih Tzu 5 4
    Beagles 6 7
    Poodles 7 6
    Retrievers (Golden) 8 9
    Boxers 9 8
    Bulldogs 10 13
    Chihuahuas 11 10
    Pomeranians 12 11
    Miniature Schnauzers 13 12
    Maltese 14 14
    Pugs 15 15
    Boston Terriers 16 16
    Shetland Sheepdogs 17 18
    Rottweilers 18 19
    Spaniels (Cocker) 19 17
    French Bulldogs 20 24
    Cavalier King Charles Spaniels 21 21

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  10. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    If you don't mind a big dog, I'd suggest a rottweiler. Of course, like any dog, they need to be trained. They are very loyal, not too hyper, and easily learn to respect what is yours. As far as keeping an eye out for strangers they're a natural. You would have to be crazy to walk into my yard uninvited, but if you are invited my dog will act like she's known you forever. I've had several and they've all exhibited these same traits even though their personalities were very different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by