What type of feed does everyone feed their ducks?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
this has been bothering me...i have been feeding my 2 duck hens my chicken layer feed...mixed with corn scratch (for the cold winter months)...is that okay?..is it what they should be eating?...or should they be eating a game bird grower?...BUT...they are hens..dont they need the layer feed?...
barnie.gif
....i'm confused...as usual...
hu.gif
...thanks for any help, Wendy

I'm no expert but we raised our ducks on 26% broiler and our current 2
have access to 22% Gamebird mixed with scratch or they can go
to the layers side of the coop and eat regular layer feed.

I feed my muscovy ducks a variety mix of cracked corn, layer pellets, meat bird (21%) and dog food....
Same with my geese and turkeys.
And soaked alfalfa cubes if there is snow on ground and they cannot forage for greens....

Meat bird food, alfalfa cubes soaked in hot water, kitchen scraps, feeder fish....

I went to a feed store to try and find actual duck food. They showed me a big bag a game bird feed. It was total garbage. The meat bird feed is total garbage, but at least it has pork in it instead of soy. I can't wait until Spring when they can free range more.

Last edited:
My FIL feeds flock raiser and cracked corn. Then the Muscovies come to our house and get scratch, layer pellets and sometimes game bird. Just depends on what I am doing while they are there. They follow us around a lot looking for hand outs. They also have the kitchen scrap pile to contend for along with the chickens, cats and cows. LOL

To start out ducklings use NON-medicated duck starter, chick starter or game bird starter. I switch them to Purina Duck Grower pellets as soon as they can eat them (around a few weeks or when your bag of starter feed is gone) then Purina Layena Chicken Pellets when they are laying. I prefer pellets to crumbles or mash feeds because there is much less waste.
I also add a little black oil sunflower seeds, whole oats and milo when they are big enough to eat whole grains.
In the winter some scratch feed but don't go over board on corn.
Lots of grass or chopped greens are very beneficial.
They also like fresh fruits and vegetables.
Since most bird feed formula's unfortunately no longer contain meat products, which ducks needs, cat or dog food or meat scraps is a good supplement to their diet.
You might want to read my "raising waterfowl tip" page on my website plus theres plenty of info online on raising ducklings and ducks.
Good luck!

Last edited:
thanks for all the help everyone!....the reason i didnt get them the meat bird and even the game bird food was..i was afraid that it was meant specifically to grow my ducks huge and fat for eating them...and since i dont eay my ducks...i was afraid of the long term effects of this type of food for them....so....so..its okay to feed them game bird food?...should i use the grower/or finisher....
barnie.gif
....see..i'm still confused...
hide.gif
..i just want to be sure i feed them the right thing because they are not meat ducks..they are pet ducks...thanks!...ooh..i will try to find some alfalfa cubes!..thanks...

Back
Top Bottom