What type of feed does everyone feed their ducks?

Quote:
This is what I feed mine as well, unless it is raining, then they just get corn. The rain would wash away the flock raiser before they would even eat half of it. Plus they eat every bluegill minnow they can catch in the pond, plus whatever else they can find!

Ducklings tend to gorge themselves so thats the reason why you shouldn't feed medicated feed...they can over dose.
I know more protein is not always better because it can cause angel wing and leg problems in fast growing ducklings. I really don't think the feeds vary that much as long as you are giving them the same amount of protein as in chick starter you should be okay.
You might want to try and pick up Dave Holderreads
book "Storeys Guide to Raising Ducks" at the library.

Corn is not a good main feed for ducklings or adults.
It would be like if you ate pancakes all the time.
Plus if you are going to breed them it can cause fertility problems.

Last edited:
Purina Flock Raiser until just before they start laying, then Layena pellets. I use the Flock Raiser with no coccidiostat, but it's my understanding that Amprolium will not hurt ducks, since it's an amino acid derivative. Sometimes it can be hard to find non-medicated starter. Maybe someone with more technical knowledge of it can enlighten us.

Kris

Quote:
Back when I first got my calls a very well known breeder of calls and other waterfowl recommended the medicated Start & Grow. She's raised more ducklings that I ever will and that's what she feeds.

Back
Top Bottom