What type of feed should I be using right now?

tbee407

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2015
Charleston, WV
I have a leghorn and three barred rocks. They are 23 weeks old. When the leghorn starting laying i switched the feed the a layer feed thinking all of the birds would begin to lay soon. It has been three weeks and the Barreds have yet to start laying. Is the layer feed bad for the Barreds since they haven't started laying eggs yet?

This is just my opinion but it will not do them any harm since they are just about to start laying.

Ct

Personally I keep mine on chick starter until all of them are laying. At the age yours are it should do no harm. Just keep in mind that you could have another month or two for the barred to lay.

The extra calcium really isn't good for them, it'll clog up their livers eventually.... if and when it might cause serious issues, I have no clue.

I've never bothered with 'layer' feed anyway:
I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

Congrats on the new eggs! The others may not be far behind!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom