1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What type of feed should I be using right now?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tbee407, Jan 17, 2016.

1. tbee407

tbee407 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2015
    Charleston, WV
    I have a leghorn and three barred rocks. They are 23 weeks old. When the leghorn starting laying i switched the feed the a layer feed thinking all of the birds would begin to lay soon. It has been three weeks and the Barreds have yet to start laying. Is the layer feed bad for the Barreds since they haven't started laying eggs yet?

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    This is just my opinion but it will not do them any harm since they are just about to start laying.

Ct

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Personally I keep mine on chick starter until all of them are laying. At the age yours are it should do no harm. Just keep in mind that you could have another month or two for the barred to lay.

4. barneveldrerman

barneveldrerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Since you already have them on layer feed just keep them on it. It won't do them much if any harm.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The extra calcium really isn't good for them, it'll clog up their livers eventually.... if and when it might cause serious issues, I have no clue.

I've never bothered with 'layer' feed anyway:
    I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

6. tbee407

tbee407 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2015
    Charleston, WV
    Thank you for the responses. Since I posted the question the second of four hens started laying.

7. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Congrats on the new eggs! The others may not be far behind! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by