What type of fencing is best for goats?

I was talking to my father today about my goat fencing needs and mentioned that I might get some milk goats. He said, my they can jump over almost any fence. Is this true are some breeds of goats better jumpers and more likely to jump fences than others? I "think" I know that a bigger goat will beable to jump a higher fence but other than that any other factors to consider?

Our fence is woven field fence, its 47 inches tall, we run a single strand of barbed wire on the top of that about 5 to 6 inches above the woven wire. We used to have nubians nd very very rarely did we have one that would jump it, now we have boer goats and they never have never jumped it.

Quote:
No.

I mean it would be possible in the vacuum of space; but never on a farm.

Please tell my why you think it is not possible. To much wire and not enough juice or something else?
idunno.gif

Too much juice and too many ground points. The fence would have to be insulated wherever it touched something that went to ground. Then it would require too much amperage to juice the whole fence.

We haven't had an escape yet. We have 4.5'- 5' welded pipe fence with cattle panels welded onto it.

Quote:
+1

Oh come on now... I'm sure that Bill Gates could do it! The amount of electricity required to bring a woven wire fence to 2000 vdc would be phenominal.

Did not what to seem so uneducated I am just here to learn the best way to protect my livestock.
lau.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom