what type of learner are you?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gaited horse, Apr 7, 2009.

1. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    If you chose a most often, you may have a visual learning style. You learn by seeing and looking.

Visual Learners
    take numerous detailed notes
    tend to sit in the front
    are usually neat and clean
    often close their eyes to visualize or remember something
    find something to watch if they are bored
    like to see what they are learning
    benefit from illustrations and presentations that use color
    are attracted to written or spoken language rich in imagery
    prefer stimuli to be isolated from auditory and kinesthetic distraction
    find passive surroundings ideal

Auditory Learners
    sit where they can hear but needn't pay attention to what is happening in front
    may not coordinate colors or clothes, but can explain why they are wearing what they are wearing
    hum or talk to themselves or others when bored
    acquire knowledge by reading aloud
    remember by verbalizing lessons to themselves (if they don't, they have difficulty reading maps or diagrams or handling conceptual assignments, like mathematics).
    You learn by touching and doing.

Kinesthetic Learners
    need to be active and take frequent breaks
    speak with their hands and with gestures
    remember what was done but have difficulty recalling what was said or seen
    find reasons to tinker or move when bored
    rely on what they can directly experience or perform
    perceive and learn best with activities such as cooking, construction, engineering, and art
    enjoy field trips and tasks that involve manipulating materials
    sit near the door or someplace else where they can easily get up and move around
    are uncomfortable in classrooms where they lack opportunities for hands-on experience
    communicate by touching and appreciate physically expressed encouragement, such as a pat on the back

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I am a Auditory Learner mixed with a Kinesthetic Learner

3. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Quote:me too - well - except for the "clothes not matching" aspect [​IMG] I always match LOL!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I'd have to say I am mostly a Kinesthetic Learner.

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    A mix of all three

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Visual/Kinesthetic

I know because I just went through a certified training officers course.... [​IMG]

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Bona fide mix of all - leaning more towards visual and kinesthetic. I always score straight down the middle on personality tests - type A personality with ADHD - organized and scatterbrained at the same time - drives my husband nuts.

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I'm a visual learner for sure. [​IMG]

9. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    I'm a global learner. A different concept than those discussed here. If someone says to one student "what is 2 plus 2?" they answer "4" If someone asks me "what is 2 plus 2?" I have to wonder "2 what?" Is it 2 rabbits, or 2 pencils, or 2 apples?" Only if I can visualize what it is I'm dealing with, can I see the answer in my head. Of course this is a simplistic way of explaining it, but it's essentially how it works. There are lots of kids in the school systems with this 'learning style' mostly kids from a NA background. It gives them a disadvantage in school because it takes a few seconds longer to factor their answers that the other learning styles. Teachers don't have a lot of extra time to wait for answers because of large class sizes so often skip on to another child instead of waiting for the one who is trying to visualize his answer. Eventually this child will be classified as "slow" and overlooked, and will soon become disallusioned with learning in a school setting. This child will become our early drop-out.

10. Lady Lavendar

Lady Lavendar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Houston
    A mix of all three but it breaks down like this- Kinesthetic -70 %, Auditory- 15%, Visual- 15%. I find that if I don't learn by myself with my own hands during the learning process, I can't do it or have difficulty until I've actually gone through the process at least once. I'm terrible at verbally recalling information (which can make me a real bore in conversations) however I do remember everything I read, see, or hear and if its technical in any way I can use that information, its probably why I do well in vocational work. I can rebuild an engine just please don't ask me to explain what I'm doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by