What type of mesh fencing for a coop?

madicakes

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2014
South-Central Pennsylvania
Hi everyone. I was wondering what type of mesh fencing you would recommend to keep predators out of my chicken's coop? We are new...new as in haven't gotten our chicks yet, and I want to make sure they have a safe environment once they are able to be put in the coop. We purchased a pre-made coop but want to build a run ourselves. Thanks!

I'm using 1/2 in. hardware cloth and attaching it with screws and washers. I have tin over the roof of my coop/run. I will be putting hardware cloth over my large run when we start building it. Yes it is expensive, but much safer.

Don't use regular chicken wire. It's too flimsy. Don't use any wire with large holes. A coon can reach through and pull your chicken out by pieces. I would also put some sort of top on your run. Coons can climb and hawks can swoop down.

Hi everyone. I was wondering what type of mesh fencing you would recommend to keep predators out of my chicken's coop? We are new...new as in haven't gotten our chicks yet, and I want to make sure they have a safe environment once they are able to be put in the coop. We purchased a pre-made coop but want to build a run ourselves. Thanks!

Hardware cloth is ideal but it can be pricey if you have BIG run. Many people opt for chicken wire or the 2x4 small guage welded wire stuff but it is possible for a large predator to get through it if they work at it hard enough. I use woven wire doubled with chicken wire since I need a really strong barrier from our goats around the coop/run (the chicken wire helps keep out wild birds from raiding the feed)

Back
Top Bottom