What type of pellets for bunny litter box

Jenessa_096

Crowing
Jul 14, 2021
Molalla, Oregon
Hey guys, I’ve been trying to find a good rabbit litter box bedding right now I’m using a paper bag as sort of a puppy pad on the bottom with some care fresh on top and a hay bag. I am interested in buying some wood stove pellets because they make such a mess with the care fresh since I have lionheads it gets stuck all over their fur. I can’t find one that would be safe for Bunnies! can you guys give me some ideas? All of the ones I’m finding are some sort of flavors for smoking you guys have any links? Thanks again hope to see some responses! Also just gave them some fresh hay and they have it all over their face! 😂😂

Attachments

• A7999B3C-506B-4171-A82A-4D20F80B29F0.jpeg
    A7999B3C-506B-4171-A82A-4D20F80B29F0.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 0642D9FD-B726-419C-8243-101D8D70DAC3.jpeg
    0642D9FD-B726-419C-8243-101D8D70DAC3.jpeg
    365.9 KB · Views: 3
Hey guys, I’ve been trying to find a good rabbit litter box bedding right now I’m using a paper bag as sort of a puppy pad on the bottom with some care fresh on top and a hay bag. I am interested in buying some wood stove pellets because they make such a mess with the care fresh since I have lionheads it gets stuck all over their fur. I can’t find one that would be safe for Bunnies! can you guys give me some ideas? All of the ones I’m finding are some sort of flavors for smoking you guys have any links? Thanks again hope to see some responses! Also just gave them some fresh hay and they have it all over their face! 😂😂
I like to use pelleted pine animal bedding from my local country store. I've heard that pine oil can be toxic, but I see that as a concentrated essential oil rather then something from a pen product. I usually do 80% pellets, 20% paper bedding. Hay on top.
If you don't like the idea of using pine pellets, then Alfalfa/Timothy/Orchard grass pellets would probably work find as well. Totally non-toxic and edible, and I used a some before getting pine pellets and seed to work good.

Pine pellets can be found as cat litter in the pet section of most stores. I often use pelleted wood fuel for pellet stoves from the hardware store. It's not for smoking meat, like what you might have seen, but actual fuel.

I'm going to try straight puppy pad once my order arrives. Aspen, my rabbit, pee's on the blanket every time I put one down in her enclosure. I had to stop putting one in to keep her peeing in her litter box.
Gonna see if straight puppy pads in one of her little boxes will improve her litter habits, and keep all of her poop in the box haha!
Its a never ending journey with rabbits. :rolleyes::D

Agree with the pine pellets! When we had my rabbits indoors that's what we used for litter. It was pine pellets for horse stalls I believe. Bought it from the feed store for cheap.

If you ever worry about them eating the litter, you can always create a cover out of small-hole wire for the top of your litter box, if it'd work. I see you have a cover on yours so maybe it wouldn't work. But with the right size wire, it wont hurt your bun's feet, the poop and pee will go thru, and they won't be able to eat any litter. I doubt they'd eat the pine pellets but we had a similar setup like this so our rabbits never got the chance to try it lol.

Agree with the pine pellets! When we had my rabbits indoors that's what we used for litter. It was pine pellets for horse stalls I believe. Bought it from the feed store for cheap.

If you ever worry about them eating the litter, you can always create a cover out of small-hole wire for the top of your litter box, if it'd work. I see you have a cover on yours so maybe it wouldn't work. But with the right size wire, it wont hurt your bun's feet, the poop and pee will go thru, and they won't be able to eat any litter. I doubt they'd eat the pine pellets but we had a similar setup like this so our rabbits never got the chance to try it lol.
Thanks! Is it harmful for them to eat the carefresh though?

Thanks! Is it harmful for them to eat the carefresh though?
I believe that paper bedding is edible. Its not like they're going to start chowing on it, the concern is them tasting it out of curiosity, or accidentally picking some up when they eat hay. Care Fresh paper bedding wont harm them as long as they only eat a little bit accidentally every now and then.

I use pelletized bedding from TSC! Cats use it too and it works really well!
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb

Back
Top Bottom