what type of predator eats just the neck of a chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 1 hen and 1 roo, Nov 30, 2011.

1. 1 hen and 1 roo

1 hen and 1 roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Friend's Black Sumatra Roo got killed over night. The killer just ate the chickens neck. What predator does that so I can let them know what animal must be hanging around their house.

2. Country Chick

Country Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Gibsonia, PA
    I lost 3 penned pullets the same way, but mine where during the day. I found out if was a Red Tail Hawk!! He still visits, but I think the rest of the birds are too big ( or too smart, from watching others get ate!) for him.

3. 6RandomBrownLayers

6RandomBrownLayers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2011
    Skunk, raccoon, possum or any one of the animals in the weasel family all could have killed it. Depending on where you live one may be more likely than another.

4. Angeljim95

Angeljim95 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    Denver
    Foxes are very known for just taking the heads and necks of prey specialy if the fowl is penned in then they just pull through fence or wire, foxes also are known for killing for the heck of it as well, I'm sorry to hear so though [​IMG]

5. 1 hen and 1 roo

1 hen and 1 roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    This was a bird we raised from an egg and gave to another 4-H student. We had too many cockerels. He won the Grand Champion large fowl at the county fair. Also did well at State and at a local Poultry show.
    Unfortunately, he let the bird do free range most of the time and just left his cage door open. Since July, he had been fine at taking care of himself at night.
    Just never know when something is going to come looking to kill and eat or just kill.
    Feel really bad for him and have offered him some Sumatra chicks and a couple of Sumatra hens. Not sure if he will take them or not but if so, maybe he will keep them in a better coop and keep them up at night.

6. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    We had possums years ago, go over the fence and up the ramp eating only heads, it got shot, left hole in the coop, that was before BYC, so I didn't know everything about predators....yet

7. b-cuz

b-cuz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2008
    Meriwether Co., GA
    opossum, raccoon, or skunk are your most likely suspects. Foxes will kill everything in the pen, then eat what they want. Redtail and Coopers hawks will kill full grown chickens and eat head, neck, & sometimes part of the breast meat. I had a 3 year old Buff Orpington Roo that they killed. Big heavy Roo and he was positioned to try and protect a young pullet.
    I miss Big Roo

Cuz

8. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    don't count out an owl...... i'm at war with coons.... they're winning at the moment....

9. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Owls love the heads and crop.

10. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I wonder if the neck has a certain flavor to the predator? [​IMG] I've seen weasels before around my house but never tried getting my chickens, only gophers, now a bobcat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by