What type of red heat bulb?

kalaim

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
I put a red heat light in the coop last night and it didn't seem to make any difference in the temperature?

I bought a reptile type heating bulb, a 200 watt. Is there a different kind of heat light I should have gotten?

Maybe this was more of a basking light, I threw away the box for it!

Thanks!
smile.png

I tried a red heat light on my girls and they looked at me like I was trying to kill them
roll.png
and place them into an oven!

I switched to a ceramic heat emitter bulb instead - at 100w and now just ordered another one (coop isnt insulated) because its just not warm enough for them with our coop size. Was 22 the other night here outside and inside their coop it wasnt even above 30 - I felt really bad. I'd like to keep them at least above freezing, it gets pretty cold here in the winter.

Did find a great price online though for a 250w light, the lamp cover and the guard - shipped to my house was $46.00. Not bad given a 100w bulb is almost $30.00 itself in most stores/online stores.

Try your local feed store, that's where I got mine also. They are cheap, less than
$10. They are usually by the chicken feeders/ incubators.

Thanks, I will look around! This one feels nice and warm about 6 inches away from the bulb, but that seems about it.

Good for snakes, maybe not chickens!

HennysMom, people from Virginia don't get to say "it gets pretty cold here in the winter", not even up in the mountains. Really truly
smile.png
There is absolutely no reason you would need to keep your coop above freezing, and some reasons not to. Read threads from people living in, like, Minnesota, and Alberta
wink.png

Quote:
<boggle>

A 100w floodlight bulb -- red or white, as you prefer -- is $9.99 up here, and most things are more expensive in Canada than the US. Honest, just get one for regular floodlight use. The fixture it fits into is usually about $12 for cheap ones, up to $30 for fancy ones, around here.

PLEASE don't run high-wattage lamps -- especially the 250 watt ones -- without essential reasons. Barn fires kill, they're not NEAR as rare as you think, they CAN happen to you, heat lamps are a pretty common cause, and almost everyone who loses a coop or barn to a fire was out there saying "ah, but I am using my heat lamp *safely!* right up to the point that smoke starts pourin' out the window
hmm.png

Honest.

Good luck, have fun, be careful, remember that chickens are NOT people and do fine in cold weather,

Pat

This is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/WATTS-HOURS-LIGHT-INDUSTRIAL-INFRARED/dp/B000STDLFE

and ALWAYS USE THIS:

http://www.bizrate.com/reptilesupplies/oid794020377.html

It is dangerous to use a bulb higher then the socket is rated at. More then likely the reason red heat bulbs are deem soooo dangerous.

They use similar bulbs in hotel bathrooms on a timer that warm the room up some while you are in there. You could use a thermocube. The the light will only be on at certain temperatures.

How many here use christmas lights? Just as dangerous. A little common sense goes a long way.

jeremy

Heat lamps are not meant to heat a room. They heat the objects they shine on. If you put your hand underneath you can feel the warmth. As others have said it's doubtful they need heat. They just need a dry, draft-free place to hang out.

Jeremy..that is the same clamp light that I have, I just need to find a better heat bulb then.

I'm just in between, I feel like I should provide them some heat but then maybe I shouldn't!

They are blocked of all drafts, but it's not insulated.

It seems that the temp in their roost area is the same as the outside temp, probably minus any windchill.

So far they are doing fine with no heat, but we aren't in the really cold temps yet. Only down to about 20 so far.

Mac...then maybe I'm expecting too much from my heat lamp?

They are in an area about 3x8.

Back
Top Bottom