What type of roofing for kennel coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hoosiermomma, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Quillgirl

Quillgirl Songster

Aug 2, 2009
    Metro Atlanta
    You can get the panels at home depot in different colors. In the roofing section. It's like tin roofing, but it's made of plastic and sold in the same section.

2. lildinkem

lildinkem Songster

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I use what IMP said to use. Those wavy fiberglass panels. I was told these panels are good for plenty of air circulation. Should hold up well. They make a special screw with a rubber washer to secure them water tite.

3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    That sounds like something that would work. How much are they per panel?[​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Here's the pix I promised.

[​IMG]

These are not the fiberglass panels. They are a clear plastic.( Can't remember what they were called acrylic maybe) I think they were a little smaller too. 8 ft X 28 inches. I used 3 to span 6 ft. I seem to remember that they were a little more expensive, about $20-$25 per panel. Have stood up well(5years), even surviving 3 trees falling on them, in a storm. I did take them down this spring, washed them and replaced the zipties had gotten brittle. Hope this helps.

Imp

5. wombat

wombat Songster

Jun 23, 2009
    If heat is an issue, get light colored asphalt shingles. It helps to use 3/4" plywood for the roof so that you can use 1/2" roofing nails without the points going through.

This is probably your most expensive option, compared to PVC roofing or galvanized metal roofing, but it will help with keeping the heat down in the summer and the heat inside in the winter.

6. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:Thanks for the pictures. I will have to see is Lowe's carries something similar b/c my husband works part time there. [​IMG] If not then off to the 'orange and black' store I go....lol

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:How would you use plywood on top of the kennel? I would think it would weigh the bars down unless you are talking about making a roof that is actually separate from the kennel itself. [​IMG]

8. wombat

wombat Songster

Jun 23, 2009
    Sorry, I misunderstood what he wanted to roof. For the open run, I'd get an opaque fiberglass panel.

By "kennel" I had thought he was talking about a dog house.

9. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I use the PVC panels also. They are 8', 12 or 16" at our home depot. Come in White, clear, green, blueish (partially transparent), black and red. We used the white on my tractor. It's cooler than shingles and light weight.

For our dog kennel that holds our dog, we built a box that was the shape of the run, but slipped over the top, like a cover. Put OSB on the frame to made a top. It is on there snug, but can be removed. It doesn't have a slope but you can build it with a slope. It provides shade and stops rain. We don't have it anymore, it was at the old house... Wish I could find pics.

10. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:LOL no it's a dog kennel. We did have a dog house in there but didn't last very long. We move the coop every now and then so they can have some fresh grass to pick at. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: