What Type of Sand to Use In My Run??

thotchkiss60

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Hello All!

I want to use sand in my run now but I am curious about what type to use. Some people say than natural play sand is better because there aren't any chemicals in it, and some say just regular course sand.

The sand will double as thecoast retch. Can someone lend some expertise? Thanks!

I use a mixture for my chickens. I combine some course sand (the kind used for construction--it has some fine parts but also lots of pebbles) mixed with ashes from my fireplaces and some soil. I put a huge spot of that in the run for the chickens periodically, mostly for them to bathe in. For grit, though, I primarily give my chickens oyster shell pieces I buy at the feed store.

Sometimes play sand can set up almost like concrete when it gets wet - until it's fully dry again at least. I get mine from a mulch/gravel company, a nice coarse sand with a little pea gravel mixed in. I love it! I think it costs like $16 a ton or something along those lines (MUCH cheaper than buying a bunch of bags of playsand), it cleans up easily, and it drains well. And I think you meant grit, not scratch??? Yes, it serves well as grit.

Last edited:
You want processed screened sand which is a coarse grain sand. It can be purchased at an aggregate materials company or most landscape suppliers will have it too. Buy more thna you need and cover it for future use for filling and grading purposes.

Clean concrete sand is great as long as their is no concrete mixed in. TIP most job sites will have extra sand left over that if you asked they would give it to you, because the landscapers will just push it to the side. This is river sand.

I recommend everyone to use clear desert sand it's easy to clean and chicken like to play with it and best for coops too.

Back
Top Bottom