What "type" of silkie?

selainek

Chirping
Sep 17, 2019
Northwest Ohio
ChadOne.jpg ChadThree.jpg ChadTwo.jpg

Meet Chad, the hen in question. She's approximately 15 weeks old and we "rescued" her and the rest of our flock after being hatched at an elementary school. :idunno This is our first time raising chickens and are learning as we go! With the head poof, dark skin, feathered legs, grayish beak and legs, I think she's at least part Silkie. But as you can see she has long smooth feathers and a very upright tail. I've come across the terms "satin" and "smooth" - do you think any of those apply to her? What breed would you refer to her as? We're not breeding, I'm just curious and want to get my facts straight!

Thanks!
Susan

Did they give you any idea of what breeds that had? Did they buy the eggs or breed internally? We'll see what others say, but that looks like a mix to me given the silkie-style head but normal feathers. I have a couple silkie mixes and they look very similar in body style (although not white).

Silkie Polish mix. Cockerel.

How were they "rescued". I'd call that adoptiom.

Did they give you any idea of what breeds that had? Did they buy the eggs or breed internally? We'll see what others say, but that looks like a mix to me given the silkie-style head but normal feathers. I have a couple silkie mixes and they look very similar in body style (although not white).

Unfortunately we were given zero information about the eggs or breed!

Silkie Polish mix. Cockerel.

How were they "rescued". I'd call that adoptiom.

"Rescued" in the sense that there wasn't anyone to take care of the chickens after hatching - but yes, you could say we adopted them.

Are you saying you think she's a rooster?! The thought seriously never occurred to me!

"Rescued" in the sense that there wasn't anyone to take care of the chickens after hatching - but yes, you could say we adopted them.

Are you saying you think she's a rooster?! The thought seriously never occurred to me!
If eggs were hatched, roughly half will be males.

I looked up Polish hens and I think you're right on the money - thanks! After looking at many pics I still think she's a hen, but I'm still learning. Can you explain which features lead you to believe it's a cockerel?
I think I'm starting to see pointed hackle and crest feathers coming in.

View attachment 1941287 View attachment 1941289 View attachment 1941288

Meet Chad, the hen in question. She's approximately 15 weeks old and we "rescued" her and the rest of our flock after being hatched at an elementary school. :idunno This is our first time raising chickens and are learning as we go! With the head poof, dark skin, feathered legs, grayish beak and legs, I think she's at least part Silkie. But as you can see she has long smooth feathers and a very upright tail. I've come across the terms "satin" and "smooth" - do you think any of those apply to her? What breed would you refer to her as? We're not breeding, I'm just curious and want to get my facts straight!

Thanks!
Susan
It looks to be a beautiful Pullet!!! She has a nice puff...males of both Silkie and Polish breeds have a more fly away hairdo.
15CE22E5-5EE3-4EDB-913C-A46F89690BA1.jpeg

White Crested Blue Polish Cockerel
2CAC77A2-AF16-4356-B6DD-45C321D1FBD7.jpeg

White Silkies...male on left

Back
Top Bottom