What types of dogs are ok with livestock?

Any dog with the proper training can be kept around livestock. Even a dog with a high prey drive can be trained to stay away from chickens as long as you provide consistent training from a young age.

My advice is to do tons of research. Go to the library and check out one of those 'encyclopedia of the dog' books. Narrow your search down to a few breeds and then do some more research on the internet. Find the breed that you think will really work well with your family.

This is what I did when my husband said he wanted a bloodhound. I was dead-set against having a hound of any kind. I went online and researched the breed for over an hour. I found out that a bloodhound would be the perfect dog for us - a real gentle giant. We've had our bloodhound since July and she's been wonderful.

Research, research, research!

Id say any herding breed wil be fine. I almost got a dog i think it was Australian pincher great farm dog is what websites say farmers in Australia use them to guard the homestead from animals and such.
I had shelties growing up and loved them they chased nothing and there are a lot of colors they come in very friendly breed

I agree with everyone who says pretty much any well trained dog will do, but I've read two stories about people not being able to train that hunt instinct out of their dogs. The dogs were a Husky and Samoyed. I don't think spitz-type dogs are the way to go if you have a farm and terriers would probably be harder then other breeds to train not to chase your chickens. If anyone wants to correct me on this, please do, I always like to learn another thing or two about animals
smile.png
-------------------------

"Does anyone have any experience with Collies? I want one, one day and wondered how they were with chickens and other poultry. My guess is that they are ok."

I grew up with a Smooth Coated Collie and she was wonderful with all of our pets. She would hunt mice, rats, and rabbits (and even chased a deer or two), but once we showed her that an animal was part of the family she didn't so much as give it a second look. She would let our budgies land on her and hamsters go right under her nose (about .5in. from her mouth) and even protected a cat from a neighbors dog (long story, we kept the cat). She was very gentle with us kids and still playful. Given, I didn't grow up on a farm and most of our pets were indoor pets, but I believe that with good training a Collie will quickly learn not to chase poultry.

I can tell you what dog that is NOT good around goats and chickens and that is a boxer....he runs our goats and chases our chickens....he is such a bad dog...

Back
Top Bottom