What vaccinations?

hedz82

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 25, 2012
Hi, I have day old from a petting zoo and three 8-months old adopted from a family, so unsure about all their backgrounds.
Here in SA you dont seem to get medicated feed, only "growing meal". One kind, nothing else. I do want to vaccinate and deworm my chick because they are in close contact with wild guinea fowl and francolin, and there has been outbreaks of bird flu in teh ostrich industry.
Question is
A) what all do I have to /should I best vaccinate for (what about Marek's, coccidiosis, bird flu, Newcastle, etc??)

B) what are the products to use

C) at what age and how often

Remember, this is Africa, and things tend to be more dodgy, so I want to be rather safe than sorry!

PLEASE HELP!!

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044 This link will give information on some of the diseases. If you don't have medicated feed, can you get Dermiacin Powder? I put it in all new birds water for first 2 months to prevent corri. mixed at 1/4 teaspoon to 1 quart of water. Isolate all new birds for at least a week or longer if possible to see if any show signs of illness before introducing to your other birds. Good Luck.

Thanks green eggs, that website is very informative, will take the document about vaccinating small flocks to my vet.
X

I kept chickens in SA as well and I was told to vaccinate them against Newcastle, by the state vets. They are dead serious about Newcastle vaccinations! Sadly there is no bird fly vaccination readily available. (Less said about that the better.)

Hey,
not in SA anymore?
Yeah, I think Newcastle IS serious.. my boyfriend once had a rescue/rehab owl and he died of it. very tragic.

We emigrated recently.
I was friendly with the state vet in our region (we lived in the Western cape) and they came to test my chickens for bird flu, told me about the Newcastle vaccine and that I should get it done asap. It was because we were in an ostrich farming area and if one of your birds gets Newcastle they put the whole area under quarantine, which you can imagine will make you rather unpopular!

Back
Top Bottom