What variation wyandotte

Party_Chicken

Crowing
Feb 1, 2023
Anywhere with chickens
My Coop
My Coop
I ordered a blue laced red wyandotte hen from mt healthy. One of my EEs is a cockerel and I don’t know if this is a golden or blue laced red Wyandotte. As of right now I’m not going to be buying from this hatchery again. Here is what she looked like at 1 week and 6 weeks. She turned 7 weeks today I will get updated pictures when I get home. What do you think because I’m leaning golden.

Attachments

• EEEB755E-C1CD-4120-B651-03266953DE11.jpeg
    EEEB755E-C1CD-4120-B651-03266953DE11.jpeg
    894 KB · Views: 355
  • A1D6956C-0EDF-45E1-95BD-5613FF9A57B4.jpeg
    A1D6956C-0EDF-45E1-95BD-5613FF9A57B4.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 81
The under color is slate, but the lacing on the feathers themselves looks black to me. So I am thinking just plain gold laced. Remember that when you cross two blue birds you get mixed offspring. Some will be splash, some will be blue, some will be black. It works the same with lacing, too.

It's a Blue Gold-laced. Very common in hatcheries and low-quality backyard flocks where Gold-laced Wyandottes were bred into Blue-laced Red lines to produce more chicks faster. They lack the mahogany gene that makes the gold the deep, bay-red that BLRW has.

It's a Blue Gold-laced. Very common in hatcheries and low-quality backyard flocks where Gold-laced Wyandottes were bred into Blue-laced Red lines to produce more chicks faster. They lack the mahogany gene that makes the gold the deep, bay-red that BLRW has.
Thank you! I am showing her in my local fair (Not SOP bred quality fair) what should I list her breed as if I were to go with one or the other.

Thank you! I am showing her in my local fair (Not SOP bred quality fair) what should I list her breed as if I were to go with one or the other.
It appears to be a pullet. She can't be shown in any category other than All Other Varieties. Blue Gold-laced is not a recognized APA variety.

@Amer may be able to assist a little more.

It appears to be a pullet. She can't be shown in any category other than All Other Varieties. Blue Gold-laced is not a recognized APA variety.

@Amer may be able to assist a little more.
We don’t even have a all other variety’s category we have the continental, artisan, ect categories and a mixed breed category. So I would call her blue gold laced?

Back
Top Bottom