What vine to put around coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BMiles, Feb 9, 2013.

1. BMiles

BMiles Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013
    Fallbrook, Ca
    I want to plant a vine to grow up the fence around our coop to serve a few purposes: 1. Provide shade for the flock in summer 2. Provide a natural food source 3. To block a little of the noise. I was thinking maybe raseberry, hops, maybe. Any thoughts?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Volunteer tomatoes come up around mine. If I protect the vines from the chickens when they forage, the vines will cover the 6 foot fence handily. Once the vines are 3 or 4 feet tall, I remove the protection so they can nibble all they want. I pull the cherry tomatoes off for them.

Chris

3. chickentender8

chickentender8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2012
    My husband and I just planted some grape vines and a blue berry bush along the side of our chicken pen, to provide some shade, and to give them some grapes to eat. I guess in a year they will be able to eat some grapes!

4. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Going to plant winter squash over the west side of our coop this year to help shade it. Grapes would be better for year round cover or kiwi.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by