what was he doing to me?

Firefighter Chick

Songster
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Southeast Minnesota
I recently had to cull my roo for attacking my son. I had been raising some chicks, two of them grew into handsome EE roos, named Goliath and Norman. Norman is standofish and avoids me. Goliath is also standofish but wasn't when he was a baby. He was always the friendly baby. I have been trying to pick them up when possible to show them who was boss. I recently corned Goliath, picked him up, then put him on my lap to be petted. He was unsure of this and i scratched his chest and petted his back. He would close his eyes a while. I hand fed him some corn which he happily ate. Then the wierd part. He started picking at my chest. Not biting, but taking little nibbles then moving around. his eyes were shut. I am thinking he was preening me. Has anyone experienced this?

I recently had to cull my roo for attacking my son. I had been raising some chicks, two of them grew into handsome EE roos, named Goliath and Norman. Norman is standofish and avoids me. Goliath is also standofish but wasn't when he was a baby. He was always the friendly baby. I have been trying to pick them up when possible to show them who was boss. I recently corned Goliath, picked him up, then put him on my lap to be petted. He was unsure of this and i scratched his chest and petted his back. He would close his eyes a while. I hand fed him some corn which he happily ate. Then the wierd part. He started picking at my chest. Not biting, but taking little nibbles then moving around. his eyes were shut. I am thinking he was preening me. Has anyone experienced this?
What a romantic rooster! He probably looks at you as one of his hens XD

Our hens submit to me the way they would to a rooster. They squat, slightly raising their wings. Our hens look to me as the dominant roo, your roo treats you as a flock member as well

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom