What was I thinking?

I see it like this: Inside is where the treats come from, and the hens just want first chance at them. :confused:
My husband thinks it's because they remember that is where they spent the first weeks of their lives. He went in multiple times a day and sat with them and talked to them, so according to him, they think they are part of the family! :lau

Welcome to our flock :jumpy !

You’re going to feel right at home here!
Can you post photos of your current situation, and share thoughts about the direction you think you want to go? Lots of knowledgeable folks will offer so much advice your head will spin.

And arent those eggs delicious!?!
My husband's thought is to build a hoop coop since we have some 16' fence panels that he bought for a greenhouse. I printed a couple of the hoop ideas I found here. He really liked what he saw. The greenhouse went a different direction, using recycled sliding glass patio doors, but hasn't been finished as most of the top is still open. When the chickens needed a bigger area to move around in, my husband's wife (I guess that would be me) unilaterally decided to put the chickens in the greenhouse for the time. That worked wonderfully until they decided they knew how to fly and wanted MORE room. At first we would get them back into the greenhouse/coop but eventually, we gave up because it could be an all day project just putting chickens back inside. Our main goal is to get them a weatherproof and secure home before the Michigan winter sets in.

Welcome to byc!

Do they have a coop?
Where are they sleeping/laying?
Currently they have a couple areas they have chosen to lay in the backyard. Occasionally we will find a surprise in an unexpected spot like the backseat of my car when I left the window down, in a clothes basket in the laundry room when someone didn't notice a chicken in the house, etc. LOL. They still retreat to the general area of the greenhouse which is where they were housed initially when we put them outside.

Hi, I'm Cheri. With the onset of COVID-19 and seeing a dozen eggs marked at $5.29, I went home and announced to my husband we should get chickens. We went to the local TSC and picked out 12 Barred Rocks and 3 Leghorns. We figured if we had an excess of roosters in our brood, we would just butcher them out. As luck would have it, we only got 2 roosters, both are Barred Rocks. Our chickens are now just over 6 months old and have been laying for about a month. We never lost a chicken after bringing them home, but we didn't think out this "plan" for the future. Our chickens have been completely free ranged for the last 3 months because we weren't prepared to grow with them, so to speak, and have taken over everything. Our backyard no longer has grass, the grandkids toys and everything else is covered in chicken poop, and our dogs (1 Pitt Bull & 1 John Russell mix) no longer want to go into the backyard. Oh, and the best part, the chickens think they own the entire place, not just the backyard. They come into the house if the kids leave the door open, they try to fly through the screened windows to get into the house, if we leave a vehicle window down, they are in the vehicle. If you sit in the back yard for very long, you can usually expect a chicken on your shoulder or in your lap. We need a chicken coop and pen! I Googled chicken coops made with fence panels which took me to Pinterest which got me here. It's time to rein in those chickens before they take over the neighborhood.

We are a multi-generational home at the moment. Our daughter and two grandchildren (1 & 2 years old) moved in with us in May 2020. Our daughter is a stay at home mom, my husband works at the local college, & I work at the women's domestic violence shelter and substitute teach. The grandchildren keep us busy when we aren't working as they prefer to be where we are, in the middle of whatever we are doing. So we try to teach them and introduce things to them as we work around the house.

Wanna work with pallets. Googel Pallet coop. Cheap way to make a coop. Good luck. Where are you located? State is fine. Helps us help you

Back
Top Bottom