What was I thinking?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by they'reHISchickens, Mar 19, 2012.

1. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I bought a cabinet incubator off Craigslist. This weekend my two strong sons finally unloaded the monster from the truck and DH started a serious examination of its electrical components. I started cleaning layers of dirt from it. It's an 8 tray 1200 egg Sears Roebuck from the 50s. What in the world was I thinking? It's HUGE. it's HUMONGOUS.
    He is intrigued. I am going to document the pieces and parts by photo for future reference. But really, 1200 eggs??? That makes chicken math look sane. What was I thinking?

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

That you can start your own hatchery? lol

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I don't know what you were thinking, but I think you must REALLY love hatching chicks!

4. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    What in the world are you planning to do with it? How many chickens do you have? How much land do you have? I am literally laughing as I type this because I can see making this purchase and all my family and friends commiting me to the loony bin because I only have four chickens and three chicks!!

But seriously, with an incubator that large you really could start your own hatchery! Good luck, and I'd love to see a pic!

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I had 3 of them (they were free) from the 30's, they make a nice redwood coop.

6. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Well, ya know . . . .just cause it can hold 1200 doesn't mean you have to put that many in [​IMG]

the first time anyways [​IMG] work up to it, in stages [​IMG]

7. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    You could turn this into a lucrative business! All of us hatchaholics that don't want the hubby/wifie to know that we are hatching MORE eggies, can just send our eggs to you! For a fee of course [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by