What was that breed with the long saddle feathers used as lures?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kanchii, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

A while ago there was a thread started, which I cannot find anymore, with pictures of a gorgeous breed where the roosters had very long saddle feathers commonly used for fishing lures. I was wondering what that breed was called, and if it's in the APA? I remember they were stunning, and if they're recognized (or even if they aren't) it seems like they'd be show stealers, I'd love to eventually get a pair...

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I'm not sure about the thread, or breed, but I do remember reading something on one of the hatcheries, about a certain breeds feathers being used for fly tying. I couldn't find it now, but Murray McMurray has a "Fly Tyers Special" that has different breeds/colors in the combo-all cockerels of course.

3. Kanchii

Quote:Good to know, thank you!

4. MNKris

MNKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    Fly tyers use the hackle, I think? I know Blue Andalusians and some of the rocks and wyandottes are used for fly fishing...

5. Kanchii

Quote:Yes I believe they can be, but in the thread posted a while ago it was a certain breed that had its saddle feathers touching the ground, and tons of them

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
  7. Kanchii

Quote:THANK YOU -bows down-

8. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Very interesting; I'd love to have that blue dun roo running around my yard, he's purty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by