What Was the Best Extra Chick or Egg You Ever Got?

Redcatcher

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
At My Desk!
Maybe this question has been asked before but have you ever gotten an extra chick or egg of a breed that you never particularly cared for and ended up being completely sold on the breed? For me, it would have to be the two extra D'Uccle eggs that I received with some Silkie eggs a few years ago. I had no idea that they were going to be included but noticed two eggs that were marked "D'Uccle". I went ahead and set them, both hatched and both turned out to be hens. I would never have bought them but they are very tame and docile (who knew?) and I enjoy having them around. I would probably have bred them if one had turned out to be a roo,

Well one time in the feed store they had the wrong breeds in a certain cage.. ended up with a cornish X and although he died of a hart attack i loved him so much
smile.png

And of coure one time when i went to pick up some chickens they wanted their duck gone too and i got her and i am completely sold on ducks now
big_smile.png

When I ordered my Barred Olive Eggers (from bycer onthespot - she is awesome!)... she sent me some Mottled Java eggs with the order. Now, of course, I do love the Barred Olive Egger chicks... but I have to say the Java's have been a big surprise and have really won me over bigtime. At hatch, I hadn't really "planned" on keeping them, but that quickly changed when their sweet personalities started to shine when they were about 6 weeks. In addition to being beautiful chicks / birds, they seem to really like people. They come running to see me and my little boy - hop up on our shoes to be picked up and genuinely seem to like being held. My sons favorite Java, Mia, is so sweet and tame he wants to show her for Showmanship. So, these unexpected delightful birds are getting a big pen / home built just for them and we plan to hatch out more Java's next Spring so we can share them with our 4H group and others.
24088_041210.jpg
24088_051610.jpg

When I got my Delawares from Speckledhen, there was one lone BBS Orp chick in with them, and I couldn't leave that pretty little baby behind. He has grown into a big, sweet, beautiful Blue roo named Ultrasuede, (yes, a son of Suede) and I got so hooked on him, that I got him 5 blue and black pullets to be his harem. I knew nothing about Orps or BBS colorations or anything at the time, so he opened up a new avenue for me to explore in the world of chickens. (Maybe Speckledhen had ulterior motives?
wink.png
)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom