What was the cost of feed 2 and 5 years ago?

JaceTx

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 6, 2009
I am fairly new to raising chickens and I pay about 12 dollars for a 50 lb bag of laying mash at tractor supply. I've seen it as low as 9.75 at a small farming town and as high as 14.50 at the local store.

I've heard that feed has skyrocketed as of late. Is this true?

Just curious what some where paying 2 and 5 years ago.

My $15.95 a bag stuff cost me $6.50 just 5-6 years ago.

roll.png

When I started 4 or 5 years ago I think a bag at the local Farm and Fleet store was $6-$7 for 50lbs. Since then I have learned to by feed from a local mill and I am now paying $7-$8 for 50lbs.

I see the bags at that Farm and Fleet store are in the $13.00 range, sure am glad I found the local mill!! Plus I am supporting a local business and not some world-wide corporation.

I would love to buy feed from a local mill at 7-8 dollars per 50 lb bag. How would I find the mills in my area? (central Tx, leander, Tx)

Thanks for any help.

The easiest way to find a feed mill in your local area would be as simple as getting out the phone book and looking up " feed" in your yellow pages. It should give you a list of feed mills in your area. Don't was at your local TSC because they are not going to tell you for fear of losing your business. And they will probably try to talk you out of buying from your local mill with a bunch of bs logic in why their mass produced feed is better.

Quote:
I learned of mine from a friend of a friend. I knew him for years and never knew that his family owned a mill
hmm.png
, He didn't know I raised chickens
hmm.png

I would look in your local phone book. There are millions of cattle in TX, someone must be grinding feed for those critters!

My local yellow book has 2 pages of "feed dealers". Start calling a few and see what can work for you.

I had to work with my mill to get what I wanted. They originally just ground corn and blended in a protein mix. I wanted a few grains added too, they didn't mind at all. An example of what they do for me is charge me for 200lbs corn, 50lbs small grain (oats and barley I think), 50lbs protein and a 5 dollar mill and bag fee. The bags aren't stitched but no big deal. This winter I installed a bulk feed bin so in spring they can bring the feed truck to deliver the feed to me
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I like the idea of using a local mill, but how do I know if what they sell me is nutritionally complete and balanced? Right now I have my chicks on Purina medicated starter/grower from the local feed store (Steinhausers). I probably wouldn't take them off of it until they start laying.

Quote:
And how did you verify that Purina has what it says on the tag???

The protein blend has a list of ingredients on it's bag. I just trust that these companies are honest. My protein blend is made by Purina by the way. So that extra 5 dollars you are paying for your bag of feed is ???? At least I know my corn (filler I guess) came from local farmers.

Last edited:
I was going to the local TSC untill I found a local mill now I pay 15.00 for 100 pounds. At TSC it was 15.00 dollars for fifty pounds and now my hens are laying even more eggs!

Back
Top Bottom