What was this for? What kind of animal?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MuranoFarms, Jan 24, 2010.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Not sure if I'm posting this in the right area, but this little mystery is killing me! lol We just bought the house this summer, it has 25 acres. About 50 yards into the woods are these 2 structures. (about 50 feet apart) The first one is pictured below. The house is on a 4 acre clearing...yet this coop type thing is well into the woods. Its very sturdy. We kept the Guineas in there for a few hours with 2 sheets of plywood across the top. It's probably 8 feet wide, by 10 feet long. It's 4 feet high.
    Here's what I know: The older couple that lived here had NO animals. The man did like to feed the bears though. I have seen at least 1 bear and heard the coyotes howling, so we have lots of predators in the area. Plus raccoons, possoms etc... The structure has no roof or bottom/flooring. It is in no way predator proof. It sits right on the ground, it is not dug in at all. There is a board nailed to a fallen tree next to it, which makes me thinks that somebody spent a LOT of time sitting there watching whatever was kept in the pen. What confuses me is that whatever was in the pen obviously couldn't climb or fly out. However with the amount of predators here, it wouldn't have lasted long till something came in to get it! Also, I can't see someone keeping anything unsecured like that then attracting wild animals by feeding them.
    Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm actually considering clearing a nice path to it, building a roof and using it for quarantine.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Looks like a dog pen to me.

3. crosbygroup

crosbygroup Chillin' With My Peeps

Could it have been a garden of some type?

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I was thinking a compost bin or small pig pen.. Maybe they used it as a tractor at one point.. OHHH The possibilities..

5. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Looks like an old pig pen to me

A tractor ????

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Maybe it was a truly poorly designed shark cage for bears?

OK I give up

Imp

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Chicken Tractor..

8. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Compost or Dogs? Maybe a whelping pen?

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Here in Arkansas, they keep kids in 'em! [​IMG]

10. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Is there a door on either of them? If not I would think a compost bin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by