What was your hatch rate with your first order of shipped eggs?

My fisrt batch of shipped eggs were 6 Black Copper Marans. Out of 6, only 1 hatched. 5 were duds. And the 1 that hatched was a rooster with one eye. LOL

I also hatched some of my own eggs. I set 7 of my easter eggers in the incubator. 6 hatched, 1 developed but didn't make it out of the shell. And out of the 6 that hatched, 6 were roosters. OMG....

Right now I have 12 wheaten ameraucanas in the bater. If I get 12 roosters.. I'm done..
wink.png

LOL..

Jim

What's the update on the Marans eggs? Did any of them hatch?

0 for 15 on the marans. Disappointing. 3 were pretty much fully developed in the egg and had died late. 2 quit early and 10 showed no development. Probably due to travel.

The 12 shipped silkies are on day 21.5 and no movement there either. I'll be really frustrated if I strike out on those as well.

I'm doing dry incubation and humdity reading was 30-35% for days 1 - 18 and 70-75% since lockdown. Temp has been steady and close to 99.5 with air circulation. Is that too dry pre-lockdown?

Like an eternal optimist / fool, I'm trying again next week with more shipped eggs. They're coming from a different location where I'm hoping the heat during shipping won't be as severe.​

My first shipped eggs had a successful hatch rate.......but produced only one pullet and the rest were all roosters! I had a 70% hatch rate out of 16 eggs. And they were shipped from Florida to Oregon - a very long distance!

Note: 81% developed to full term, but 2 chicks didn't hatch.
idunno.gif

I've hatched out shipped eggs twice now and both times started with 12 eggs, 4 of each hatched out but one did not survive in both cases, so I have 6 lavender orp chicks and I deciced to try one more time this year.The eggs should arrive Tuesday so we'll see if my record will improve or not, I'm ging to try the dry hatch method this time. I know getting shipping eggs is always a gamble but it is also an adventure right?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom