1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What was your largest egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fabidon, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Fabidon

Fabidon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

Hi all: My Barred Rock is laying eggs that appear too large to pass. I was wondering if others are getting these very over-sized eggs too. The last one she laid weighs 121 grams and fills my hand. How does that stack up to your experiences?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  2. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a huge egg. My 8 mo old cuckoo marans lay eggs half that size- 52-60 grams and I thought THOSE were big! My speckled sussex lay eggs around 45-50 grams. Is she having trouble laying them?

3. Delight30

Delight30 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a RSL that lays eggs that size... she will do it for 2 or 3 days in a row, before going back to normal size eggs. I can not put them in a regular egg carton.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    A few Years ago our Black Star would lay double yolkers that easily bottomed out my 100 gram scale. Like yours wouldn't fit in a carton and easily over 3.5 ounces. It's nice to only use one egg for a sunny side up on toast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by