What was your worst mistake as a chicken keeper?

OMMMMGGGGGG... I didn't think rat snakes could kill a fully grown chicken. Tuesday I went into the run to visit with my ladies during lunch for a few minutes. As I was getting ready to leave the run I notice this super long black thing -- it was the six foot rat snake I've seen a few times around my yard this year (I don't kill them because I'm terrified of mice and frogs (yes, there was a giant toad outside the run door and wouldn't leave until he did). The snake was coming through one of the gaps my husband and I will be fixing this weekend and I was throwing mulch at his face hoping it would stop him from coming in. Well of course that didn't work and here he comes and goes down to the back of the coop. My husband cut a bunch of bushes and stuff a couple of weeks ago and I had propped them up in the run to make it more "jungle like" and he was hanging out down there. Of course, one of my chickens had to run down there while it was there, and was less than 6 inches from it before I called her out and put them all in my backyard. I spent 15 minutes trying to get it out of the coop. I had a 3-4' branch I was using to pick it up (damn it was heavy). Didn't work, so then I'm like this snake isn't venomous and I've watched way too many Steve Irwin episodes... so I try grabbing it's tail while picking it up with the stick -- yeah that didn't work either. So, finally I got it out, of course I'm talking to it the whole time because I'm insane ("snake, I have no qualms with you, go eat the mice and frogs", "there are no eggs here", etc). I wanted it out because I was like I don't think he can kill them but this is a damn 6' snake! Now I'm freaking out!
In my experience - and sadly I do have some experience with this - they will only kill a hen that is harassing them due to eggs or chicks. Broody hens will go after them mercilessly and a rat snake can and may kill them. I've had them meandering through the runs and through the yard right beside my hens and nothing has ever happened those times. Both the hens I've lost were broody: one was on a nest and the other had three-week old chicks. The four photos posted were taken the same time
3FE35E65-1BDE-47FD-945C-0BB628843435_1_201_a.jpeg
. Three large rat snakes beneath my canopy while my chickens were also there. I don't kill them. There was an explosion this year and I relocated over a dozen to the back corner of my property where they have plenty of rodents to keep them satisfied.

Attachments

• E1363BDE-67A9-4598-A4D6-B6D40DD7366B.jpeg
    E1363BDE-67A9-4598-A4D6-B6D40DD7366B.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 4
  • B0F5C8BC-6C2E-4B7C-8602-1B3064117B39.jpeg
    B0F5C8BC-6C2E-4B7C-8602-1B3064117B39.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 3
  • A3D3ED3B-0377-4756-964C-962BE1A5DA23.jpeg
    A3D3ED3B-0377-4756-964C-962BE1A5DA23.jpeg
    656.8 KB · Views: 3
that is a huge snake , where are you ?
I'm in fl . so far only black snake a 5 footer got in my lanai dogs warm me about ,, got her out with a broom , it was a funny fight but no one saw that, hate snakes , she was lucky I couldn't use my pellet gun.

that is a huge snake , where are you ?
I'm in fl . so far only black snake a 5 footer got in my lanai dogs warm me about ,, got her out with a broom , it was a funny fight but no one saw that, hate snakes , she was lucky I couldn't use my pellet gun.
I’m in north Florida between Gainesville and Lake City. Some of the female rat snakes in my area are six feet. The older ones have scars and I can identify them. I pick them up all the time. I love snakes. C5B97EF8-6F80-425C-8078-57669CFB5EBE.jpeg I also have Coral snakes. This one visited a few years ago but two days ago a baby was seen in the brush. I haven’t wanted my dogs to get involved with snakes because of the coral snakes here.

I’m in NC. the day after I got my chicks, I found these in my yard. The one on the left continues on past the edge of the picture. The one on the right was almost half the size of the big one. The smaller one followed every move the big one made at a distance.

Attachments

• F0649BFA-884E-4589-A1CE-C0561634525C.jpeg
    F0649BFA-884E-4589-A1CE-C0561634525C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
What did you do?
Hovering over a lethargic rooster, trying to treat for just about everything by searching these here forums for information on symptoms.

What were the consequences?
Dead rooster. Likely overdosed on Amprolium 200 given neat per instructions here somewhere.

Did you fix it? How?
The rooster died. Took body to vet for testing. It was indeed an coccidiosis. I did indeed overdose the rooster. Treated the rest of the flock early for coccidiosis, no others died.

What did you learn?
Vets know best. If you don't want to lose a chicken or a whole flock, don't waste time when dealing with sick chickens. Spend the money and keep good animal husbandry.

In my experience - and sadly I do have some experience with this - they will only kill a hen that is harassing them due to eggs or chicks. Broody hens will go after them mercilessly and a rat snake can and may kill them. I've had them meandering through the runs and through the yard right beside my hens and nothing has ever happened those times. Both the hens I've lost were broody: one was on a nest and the other had three-week old chicks. The four photos posted were taken the same timeView attachment 2836481. Three large rat snakes beneath my canopy while my chickens were also there. I don't kill them. There was an explosion this year and I relocated over a dozen to the back corner of my property where they have plenty of rodents to keep them satisfied.
I am so glad we have ZERO snakes here. Yikes!

I decided I finally had a story for this thread, although it is probably not my biggest mistake. 😉

Yesterday I put my silkie, Cupcake, up in our Magnolia tree to take pictures. This morning I went outside and kept hearing a weird noise, and just assumed it was a mockingbird. I happened to look over at the Magnolia tree and saw a white ball of fluff staring at me. 😂 I did the math and she stayed up in it for 14 plus hours, about 6 feet off the ground. She immediately got a hug, food and water.

:oops::lau:oops::gig:lau:oops::lol::he

I decided I finally had a story for this thread, although it is probably not my biggest mistake. 😉

Yesterday I put my silkie, Cupcake, up in our Magnolia tree to take pictures. This morning I went outside and kept hearing a weird noise, and just assumed it was a mockingbird. I happened to look over at the Magnolia tree and saw a white ball of fluff staring at me. 😂 I did the math and she stayed up in it for 14 plus hours, about 6 feet off the ground. She immediately got a hug, food and water.

:oops::lau:oops::gig:lau:oops::lol::he
Oh my goodness, I’m glad she’s okay! 😂 She still likes you right? Freya has had a little grudge on me because I put her back when she would escape.

In my experience - and sadly I do have some experience with this - they will only kill a hen that is harassing them due to eggs or chicks. Broody hens will go after them mercilessly and a rat snake can and may kill them. I've had them meandering through the runs and through the yard right beside my hens and nothing has ever happened those times. Both the hens I've lost were broody: one was on a nest and the other had three-week old chicks. The four photos posted were taken the same timeView attachment 2836481. Three large rat snakes beneath my canopy while my chickens were also there. I don't kill them. There was an explosion this year and I relocated over a dozen to the back corner of my property where they have plenty of rodents to keep them satisfied.
You DONT kill them? Are they poisuous to people?

Im glad you re home them though, ;) but they’ll keep coming back. We have an owl that’s like that and squirrels too.

Back
Top Bottom