What was your worst mistake as a chicken keeper?

Pics
I did buy random assorted straight run chicks from rural King this year. All 18 were females.
Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF
did you go buy a lotto ticket next? lol

Has ANYONE had a good experience getting chicks from TSC? I got a handful there last month, & so far, so good. One did have a terrible bout of pasty butt & weakness which I nursed her through but all are thriving now. At about 4 weeks I don’t see any red combs either. Maybe I just got lucky?
I was given one that was the wrong breed... the one in my profile photo. I went back and was allowed to buy a single one of what I had asked for. All 5 of them are thriving... and oddly... the incorrect chick is my absolute favorite and the one I jumped through hoops to buy that I thought I wanted so bad is my biggest diva and doesn't trust me at all lol. So I mean, ultimately it turned out ok I guess.

I was given one that was the wrong breed... the one in my profile photo. I went back and was allowed to buy a single one of what I had asked for. All 5 of them are thriving... and oddly... the incorrect chick is my absolute favorite and the one I jumped through hoops to buy that I thought I wanted so bad is my biggest diva and doesn't trust me at all lol. So I mean, ultimately it turned out ok I guess.
Aww what is she & what are the rest? We were afraid they gave us a leghorn with our OE, but she looks like a white Legbar so now we know she will most likely lay beautiful eggs! (& she’s my favorite looks wise, all white w a cool Mohawk!)

Nothing against Leghorns...just wanted a colorful egg! 😂

Aww what is she & what are the rest? We were afraid they gave us a leghorn with our OE, but she looks like a white Legbar so now we know she will most likely lay beautiful eggs! (& she’s my favorite looks wise, all white w a cool Mohawk!)

Nothing against Leghorns...just wanted a colorful egg!
I got Lucy the Leghorn by accident. Honey -Red sexlink, Cheep and Dayle the Eggers, and Dottie the Diva wyandotte that I wanted so bad I went back for because they were supposed to be docile and calm (hahahahah). Id love to get some blue eggs eventually... But I love my assortment. Sexlink gives xl dark brown eggs, Leghorn gives xl whites, Dottie gives med/large light brown, and the eggers give medium hues of green and occasionally blue/green.
I LOVE MY LUCY :love she's so funny and cool. The first chicken I ever held as a kid was actually a leghorn, and I just didn't realize it until I really started thinking about the chicken that started it all.

Last edited:
I'm happy enough with the 2 prefabs we inherited from other chicken owners who gave up. What made them work was installing them inside a huge walk-in chicken run my beloved son built for me. The doors of the coops can stay open except when we're using one coop as a brooder for babies. With small trees and bushes inside the run it's second best to free ranging but totally safe for them.
that sounds so nice!

1: what did you do
I left my chickens and goats unattended and free ranging.
2: what were the consequences
Crutchie (my gimp chicken) was left alone and away from the flock while I was in math tutoring, she got taken by a peregrine falcon that’s been hanging around.
3: did you fix it? How?
I’ve stopped letting my goats free range so the falcons been staying away.
4: what did you learn
That if I have a chicken that can’t keep up with the flock that I am attached too I should keep them in the coop and pen.

1:What did I do.
I added chickens to my flock but forgot to up the feed.
2:What were the consequences
Over half my flock starved before I figured out the problem, I cried non-stop for a week.
3:How did I fix it
I upped the feed and kept carefull charts of birds and feed.
4:What did I learn
To be very careful in making sure everything has enough feed, I also do a crop check frequently in the evenings.

Back
Top Bottom