What went wrong here??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ladyomaha, Dec 13, 2011.

1. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    My Chick hatched, but dont think it was time yet....is he gonna be ok? He is Moving around Quit well, but this Egg sack worries me.
    [​IMG]

2. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    He/she will be fine

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    It did hatch a little bit prematurely....It just hasn't absorbed it's yolk sac. Just leave it in the incubator....Sometimes I will wrap them in a moist paper towel if they're not walking yet....They need another night to absorb that.....Or you could just turn the lights down low in the incubator....So he'll just rest as he absorbs that yolk.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

As long as the sack doesn't break and dries up he/she should be fine. Make sure you put some antibiotic ointment on it and you will need to keep it by itself until it dries up, the others will peck at it. It's brain said it was time to hatch and its body wasn't ready all the way. I've had many live like this.

5. ladyomaha

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Oh...Phewwwww Thank Goodness, Thought I was gonna loose my lil one. I have 3 more eggs in there, so hope he dont disturb them to bad. Thanks for all the GOOD news. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ladyomaha

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Update.... My lil chick is Doing Awesome, Very active and LOUD!!! I have him covered so he wont move as much, but also have antibiotics on him, and the egg sack dont look smaller, but trying REAL hard not to look at him or mess with him. PRAYING he will be alright, by the sounds of it, His lungs are Working real Good.....LOL.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

8. LoveNewChicks

LoveNewChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    I don't know,
    My Coop
    that happened to one of my chicks, first one to hatch,
    she had 3 twisted toes and splay leg, and a leg infection...............
    she lived 2 weeks.....
    we had 2 little americanas she and our other americana eowin (lord of the rings)both died they where sooo cute [​IMG]

9. ladyomaha

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    been almost a day now, so I am wondering does this Egg sac just Dry up and fall off, or is it suppose to absorb back into the Chick?

10. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Absorb, hence the reason it should be kept moist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by