What went wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I just hatched 6 out of 8 eggs under my broody hen. 1 egg was hers and for some odd reason on day 19 I woke up to find half the shell broken off the chick and the menbrane covering the chick I could see it moving so I know it was alive. I left it alone and let nature take its coures on day 21 everyone under my broody begain to hatch I saw that my hens lone egg was all dried up still in the menbrane so I removed it and began to open the egg everything had dried up inside the chick was fully formed but dead it had even absorb half the yolk. I had 5 eggs in my friends incubator not sure of type it was a huge I think held 40 or so eggs styrophone incubator with automatic turner. On day 19 one egg of mine began to hatch but stopped it died it zipped half way and that was it. The other 4 eggs are on day 22 now and nothing My friend candled them and said it looked like bubbles were in the eggs. My aunt also had 7 eggs and None of them hatched. Also my friend put 12 of her eggs in also and 8 of hers hatched but 2 died shortly after hatching and 2 of hers tried to hatch and also stopped and died. Ok thats the whole story what went wrong? I know the eggs were fertile because when candled on day 7 and on day 13 there was live chicks inside kicking around. So what went wrong? Iv heard it was from low humity also somone said it was feeding too much laying mash. I dunno what does everyone eles think? Any info would be great sorry it was so long.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    What was the humitidy day 1-18 ??? also what was it up'd to day 18-21 ???

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    There is usually a reason they die...most of the time if you open the egg the chick will have something wrong with it. I'm sure someone else will give you more tips as to what could have went wrong. Did you open the eggs up from the incubators to check? So sorry for your losses! I sure hope next hatch is a better one for you.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:I'm not real sure what it was or up'd even if at all I'd have to ask my friend. I do know I don't believe my hen was too head set on setting this time around she would come off 2 to 3 times a day for water and to eat but she went straight back to the eggs but she must have done somthing right out of 8 eggs I had under her she hatched out 6.

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:When I opened up what was left of the egg under my hen I didnt see anything wrong other then it must have smothered from not getting the menbrane off and it dried up therefore smothering the chick. The other egg that did not hatch when I opened it nothing I saw adnormal it was a fully formed chick but still curled up in a ball. Hadn't even tried to pip. The chick that died in the incubator we finished removing the shell The only thing adnormal I saw was the chick had its head twisted under.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by