What were the biggest surprises?

ericefl

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 30, 2011
So as someone who is starting down this road of raising emus, I was wondering... what were your biggest surprises with your emus? Could be anything!

how social they are...this is an animal that you just can't put out to pasture and ignore! They love human interaction (at least all of ours do), and will race the fence line and jump in the air with excitement when they see you or even hear your car pulling into the driveway!

Last edited:
Yes, how social they are..... and also how child like. They want to be around you, want to know what you are doing and be in the way.... all the time!
lol.png

They get along well with anything potbelly pig size or bigger, as long as you introduce some things to them first ( anything that is very vocal, very energetic or causes attention to be given can be hard to get emus to leave alone )... Sometimes chickens, ducks and geese get chased...... new ones especially.... and may get stomped on if they haven't a place to get away from the emu... My turkeys chase the emu, as well as the peafowl and the swans just hiss so the emu leave them alone. Some of my roosters will jump up and flog them...... Only the highly animated chickens get chased. My emu love to chase cats and guineas...... or anything that likes to run.
they will chase behind the horses ( but don't try and chase them... just follow who ever's running)
tongue.png

7205_jazztatdoor1.jpg

7205_bugonyourbutt.jpg

7205_jazzy_hair_001.jpg

7205_diaper_emu.jpg

7205_chickenbreeds_180.jpg

7205_silkie_riding_emu1.jpg

7205_emu_n_llamas.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom