What will I get if I cross...

K813ZRA

Songster
5 Years
Mar 29, 2016
Pennsylvania
Okay, so I have some B/B/S Ameraucanas coming soon. No idea which color they will be, a mix of blue, black and or splash obviously. Anyway, I also have some Brown Leghorns and wish to toss an Ameraucana roo in with these girls to get some EE hatching eggs for friends and family but that leaves me with a question and I am no good at genetics.

What would I get, color/pattern wise when I cross said birds?

Blue X Brown
Black X Brown
Splash X Brown

I already ran a search and either I suck at searching or the answer to this question is buried deep within the archives. Either is possible!

I have no idea if these mixes will even come out with a standard pattern or just some random mix. Again, I am terrible at this stuff! All I know is that I have loads of nieces, nephews and second/third cousins that want to hatch some eggs. :p It won't be for awhile as my Ameraucanas are not even hatched yet...lol. So I am thinking way ahead here.

PS I have some Welsummers I can mix with too to make OEs. No idea what that pattern would be like. I guess what I really want to find out is what is the best way to make those wild type looking easter eggers that are so common. 75 birds later and my EEs are still my favorite...lol.

Anyway, thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction here. Not afraid of reading if you have some links or even book suggestions too. Like chicken crossing for the super slow and terrible at science. That would be a book make directly for me!

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html
This site can help with ckicken colors. Isn't a Brown Leghorn egg white? If you had a brown egg layer and crossed with an Ameraucana rooster you would get olive layers.
DSC_0087.JPG

Yes, the Brown Leghorn lays white eggs. The Welsummer lays dark brown. I have other brown layers too. I think I understand the egg color thing well enough, already asked about that one awhile back. :) It is the color pattern of the birds at the moment that I am curious about.

Thank you for the link I will check it out now!

Edit: yeah, I don't think I could use that site with 100 years of tutoring...I don't even know what 99% of those letters and number mean! LOL.

Last edited:
I can't answer your questions about color (I'm sure @The Moonshiner can), but wanted to add I have 2 ameraucanas x brown leghorn crosses and they are great! They are sweet girls that lay the prettiest light blue eggs. I'm not sure what color ameraucana their roo was (probably buff?) but this is what mine look like:
20180126_093130.jpg

LF.jpg

WP_20170503_16_51_00_Pro.jpg

Your BBS are extended black. Brown leghorns are wildtype. Extended black is dominate so it will cover/hide the brown leghorn pattern.
Black Xs will give black
Blue Xs will give black or blue
Splash Xs will give blue
I have found that with most of my extended black crosses with wildtype that the wildtype does bleed through some so leakage is possible especially in cockerels in the shoulder areas as well as some in hackles.

Your BBS are extended black. Brown leghorns are wildtype. Extended black is dominate so it will cover/hide the brown leghorn pattern.
Black Xs will give black
Blue Xs will give black or blue
Splash Xs will give blue
I have found that with most of my extended black crosses with wildtype that the wildtype does bleed through some so leakage is possible especially in cockerels in the shoulder areas as well as some in hackles.

Thank you. I was totally lost with that calculator thing!

Back
Top Bottom