What will i get!

nomirawr1

Songster
Mar 14, 2017
New Zealand
We are incubating our own eggs for the first time, and I'm curious of some of the colour combinations we might get!

The rooster is a very big, handsome barred rock.

We have 9 hens.
Obviously the 2 barred rock hens will give us barred rock babies

We have 3 hyline hens, 1 welsummer, 1 barnevelder, 1 sussex and 1 mutt that is a very dark brown body, with a jet black neck/head.

I can do horse colour genetics, but chicken colour genetics make my head hurt!

Thanks in advance.

chicken colour genetics make my head hurt!

I totally agree.

Barring is a dominant gene so all the offspring will be barred, male and female. Wasn't that easy?

I'm not sure of the genetics of your Hyline hens. I think most are brown but they may have some white ones. If yours are white, well there are two different ways to make a solid white hen. The headache already starts. If it is Dominant White the offspring should be white. They will carry barring but the white will mask the barring. If it is Recessive White, as it is a recessive gene it will have no effect because there is only one of them at that gene pair. When Recessive White pairs up (both genes at that gene pair are RW) it turns everything white so anything could be hiding under there. So if your Hyline is white and if that is due to Recessive White she could contribute about any genetics.

I'm not sure what your Sussex looks like, especially in New Zealand. There are different colors/patterns that are available in Sussex breeds.

Your Barred Rock rooster is based on black. Black is pretty dominant but there are different ways to make black. In theory practically all those chicks should be black barred, pretty much like their father with possible exceptions if your Hylines are white or you have something weird going on with your Sussex. But that is just theory. It is highly likely you will see what is called leakage. That's where random feathers can come in with colors that are not supposed to be there. As an example, in theory this is a solid black rooster.

Leakage Black  Roo.JPG

Or these white ones are supposed to be solid white, no other color.
Leakage.JPG

Thank you!

Our hylines are brown with a little white coming through as they age.

The sussex is a light sussex, sorry! In NZ we get all sorts of sussex colours, but generally when someone just says 'sussex', they mean light sussex :p i always forget that its different elsewhere!

With all barred chicks, should we see similar to barred rock chicks, with double barring on the males & not the females? Or will all of them be single barred because only one parent is barred?

I'm doing a cross with a Barred Rock rooster and yes, the first generation were all barred.
Second generation hatches are about 50% barred. 50% genetic throwbacks.
Here's the mother and the resulting hen from that original cross with the BR roo.

rachelgoldilocks1216.jpg

From my basic knowledge of genetics, I believe you'd get these kinds of chicks:
Red sex links (hylines)- some white with a few black barred feathers, some black barred with red leakage
Welsummer- black barred with red leakage
Barnevelder (assuming she's gold)- black barred with red leakage
Light sussex- black barred with silver leakage
Mutt- hard to tell without a picture, even then could be hard to predict

Thank you!

Our hylines are brown with a little white coming through as they age.

The sussex is a light sussex, sorry! In NZ we get all sorts of sussex colours, but generally when someone just says 'sussex', they mean light sussex :p i always forget that its different elsewhere!

With all barred chicks, should we see similar to barred rock chicks, with double barring on the males & not the females? Or will all of them be single barred because only one parent is barred?
All chicks would be single barred since the barred rock rooster would only pass one gene to all his offspring.

I agree, they will all be single barred. None of those hens have barring so they can't pass it on. The cockerels will get a not-barred gene from their mother and a barred gene from their father. The pullets will get a barred gene from their father and nothing from their mother.

@RoostersAreAwesome why do you think you might get

Red sex links (hylines)- some white with a few black barred feathers, some black barred with red leakage

I can't come up with a genetic combination where that could happen, where you could get mostly white with black leakage and also get some black barred. The barred rock father should be pure for black, probably Extended Black but it doesn't absolutely have to be. I would expect them to all be black barred, probably with red leakage.

I agree, they will all be single barred. None of those hens have barring so they can't pass it on. The cockerels will get a not-barred gene from their mother and a barred gene from their father. The pullets will get a barred gene from their father and nothing from their mother.

@RoostersAreAwesome why do you think you might get

I can't come up with a genetic combination where that could happen, where you could get mostly white with black leakage and also get some black barred. The barred rock father should be pure for black, probably Extended Black but it doesn't absolutely have to be. I would expect them to all be black barred, probably with red leakage.
Many of the crosses of red sex links I've seen have dominant white (I'm not sure where it comes from), and dominant white with barring will produce white chickens with a few barred feathers. Note that I am not any sort of genetic expert, I just have seen enough crosses and understand enough genetics to make educated guesses about simple crosses.

Delawares are a crossbreed of Barred Rock and New Hampshire and Delawares are white.
They probably got a few different strains from that cross but chose to go with the whites.
In birds that I'm developing, I get 4 different distinct lines, from doing a very similar cross.
One of them is white.

The New Hampshire may not be well known, so here's a pic.

newhampshire1.jpg

Just out of sheer interest...

We have thus far hatched 3, 2 are white with a few spots if black fluff, and one is black with a white chest, white wing tips and white head spot. Still 6 to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom