What will I get?

TinyLittleFarm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Wisconsin
At some point, I'm going to hatch some of our eggs. I'm thinking I'd like to hatch the eggs of my Red Stars. Our roo is a Light Brahma. I couldn't care less that they will be mutts, but will they still be sex links? Will I be able to tell the boys from the girls?

I have no knowledge whatsoever about chicken genetics!

Thanks.

No, they will not be sex links. The chicks will start out yellow. All the adults should be basically white, but with black tails and maybe black around the necks. I say basically white because they will probaly have a bit of a cream or pale reddish hue to some feathers, not pure white.

No Sexlinks If your Red Star hens have White tails, then they carry dominant white so from that cross I would guess that you would get solid white pullets since they would be pure silver and the dom white would be covering the black columbian ticking, and with the roos, you would probably get some red leakage.

They should still be good egg layers, though right?

I don't really care. Just wanna hatch some babies.
tongue.png

I would imagine they should be pretty fair layers. And also with the Brahma blood, I would exepct the chicks to have pea combs and some degree of leg feathering.

My dark Brahma roo breed everything in my coop, he put feather legs on everything.... non of my hens have freathered legs.

Back
Top Bottom