What will my chicks be?

tiffani day

Chirping
Sep 25, 2015
Vicksburg Mississippi
My be a really dumb question but here I go anyway! I have an American Game Bantam rooster and have collected eggs from my rir, barred rock and orphigans what type of chick will be produced from the incubation? Who decides the domminant breed male or female?

Absolutely no apologies necessary. We all have to start somewhere. One of the hardest problems with figuring out what the chicks will look like is figuring out what genetics you have to begin with.

From the photos I can’t tell what that rooster has genetically. I’d guess he is mixed up some, many of the really pretty ones are. I’ll try to make some guesses. I think he may have some birchen in him and probably all gold, no silver. I could easily be wrong.

With your RIR’s, probably red chicks with black markings once they feather out. You could see a lot of black feathers too but should have red around the head area.

With the Barred Rock you will probably get solid black hens (though some red could bleed through on a few feathers. The cockerels should be black barred, a lot like the barred Rock hens. You may or may not be able to tell on the down but they should be black sex links. If the chick has a white spot on its head at hatch it’s probably a male. If there is no white spot, probably a female.

With the Buff’s, well Buff can be a bit hard. Buff has some modifiers that can do some strange things. Most likely you will get sort of orange colored chickens with black markings like a black tail but don’t be surprised to see some yellow/gold coloring. I think these have the potential to be really pretty.

Good luck on the hatch, it should be a lot of fun. It will be stressful too but you’ll have real success.

The genetics of the parents determines what will be dominant. The dominant genes might come from the mother or the father. It just depends on what those genetics are.

American Game Bantam tells me nothing about his genetics. American Game Bantams can be about any color or pattern. As far as I know he could be black, white, red, yellow, or a mix of those or even other colors. If you could post a photo of him or give us some hints of what he looks like we might be able to guess what his chicks would look like from those specific hens.

I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge that's what I was told the rooster was the hens I got as full grown layers and don't know much about them either. I have pen next to them with barred rocks I got as day old chicks. I have 15 of my hens eggs in an incubator. I started with 18 1 broke and 14 days 2 had not devolved anything. At day 18 my remaining 15 all looked like they should according to what I had read so put it on "lock down" and now await my hatch. I'm so nervous because I've read so much could still go wrong.

Welcome to the Flock. I'm a great worry wart but, sometimes to stop it I try imaging all the good things that might happen . Sending good hatching vibes your way
jumpy.gif

I have had 1 hatch. This only day 19 I didn't know until,reading here I was supposed to take them off the Turner I just stop the turning should i remove the remaining eggs or let them be

Back
Top Bottom