What will my duckling look like?

Your duckling will look like a Rouen, as others have said. It will never turn white.

White ducks have other colours 'beneath' the white - ie the white is masking the effect of all offer colour genes. So you never know what you'll get when you cross a white duck to another duck. :)

I was wondering why that duck looks strange . . . hes adolescent. As for the white gene, obviously a white duck will not do so well in the wild so i'd assume that it is a recessive gene, however, genetics are rarely so straight forward. I really hope he does look like a mallard/rouen, but ill be happy with a campbell or runner lookin' thing too, but i wont be too upset if he turns out white.

Last edited:
Actually, I see some little dark colored tufts coming out when i spread the down on his back apart. Could these be actual waterproof adult feathers coming in at about 2.5 weeks?

Yes, white is a recessive gene. You need two doses to actually be a white duck. Your duck only has one (from the white parent) but it has no visible effect.

The little dark tufts could be adult feathers, for sure. The usually get them on their shoulders and chest/belly first.

Your duckling looks Rouen. We have Pekin-mallard ducks at our lake and they look like Rouens when they grow up, but not as heavy in the body.

Back
Top Bottom