What won't they eat?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by furbabymum, Jan 27, 2015.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I'm wanting to modify my duckponics. I had been growing pond plants for the animals. Now I want to fill the biofilter completely with rock and plant trees/bushes/veg plants. So, since my fence is a proven failure what can I stick in there that won't be consumed?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Are you asking what the ducks won't eat from the pond? Sorry, I'm not 100% sure what you're asking.

3. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Apologies if I was unclear. I'm planning on planting regular plants into an aquaponics like set up but using ducks instead of fish.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well the few times my ducks have gotten into my Koi pond was an epic disaster plant wise, pond lilies, water lettuce, Hyacinths.. to name a few.. more but i lost names and the horrific mess has left me scarred lol

I would think the best way to keep them from eating stuff is net it off.. i found again mine destroyed all my plants and i have fish in there! those they completely ignored the plants ? ducks 1 plants 0

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you want to go with wetland-type shrubs, that would be your best bet, I think, and just put in plants that are a bit mature rather than tiny.

Some species that are lovely include Buttonbush, Willow, Dogwood (Cornus sp.) , and Swamp Rose (Rosa palustris). You may be able to have something like willow around a perimeter as a living fence, and then plant some more tender perennials on the other side. There are many, many varieties of willow - some are quite colorful, they are a bee-friendly plant, too.

My ducks are fine around mature blueberries. I put a little tube of hardware cloth around a young kiwi vine, but once mature, it doesn't hurt my vines to have the ducks eat the lowest leaves off. They do enjoy that.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by