1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What word do you use for calling your ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nickcole, May 24, 2016.

1. nickcole

nickcole Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2015
    Does anyone use a certain word for calling their group of ducks to get their attention? The only one I've heard of is saying "hey hey hey". Anyone have anything else they use or something fun or creative to call them? Thanks!

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    I just yell "Hey Ducks!"

I guess I'm not as creative as I'd like to think I am.

When we first got ducks, I thought about whistle training them, but I can't whistle so it would have needed to be a metal or plastic whistle. Then the idea of having to remember to have the whistle on me every time I need to call the ducks seemed terrible. I had a little wooden train whistle too, but then realized that with my luck, as soon as I trained the ducks to come to the choo choo train whistle, the train by our house would come through for the first time in 10 years and my ducks would run off like a bunch of hobos with the train. (totally wouldn't happen, but I live the image of my ducks on the tracks with little bindles.)

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I whistle and shake the can with meal worms . I don't know which brings them running but which ever one does it works.

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Often if I call for the dogs, the ducks come running.
    If I ask if they want peas, they come running.
    They used to come running when I'd whistle for them too, but not so much now.

5. lissyduck

lissyduck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2015
    I just yell ducky ducky ducky come on! They come flapping and waddling along. Quaking and hissing at me for food. The chickens get chook chook chook come on! And the horses get their names and come on! They are respond well and come when called. Id say its the tone of the 'come on' they respond to.

6. Newbee58

Newbee58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2016
    Central, Utah
    I make clicking noises with my tongue. While holding out my hand with treats. If I just make the clicking noises they look at me like, you've gotta be kidding. No treats I ain't coming. Lol

7. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I just say "c'mere ducks" or "c'mon." I'm not very creative! I do need to think of something else, though, because the dog thinks I'm calling him and comes over and scares them away. [​IMG]

8. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I used duck duck duck in a low almost clucking sound or girls! When I only had one set of ducks.

Now I use Baby Ducks! and Big Ducks! for the two groups.

I use individual names if I need to stop someone before they cause trouble or get an individual back with the group.

When my broody gets on my nerves I use Sassy Quack! Bed! And she usually sass waddles back to the pen sassy quacking at me the whole way.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  9. mommysducks4

mommysducks4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    Douglasville
    Mommys duckies or weeekers they come running! They love their momma

10. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Lysol Lady Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    I say here duckyduckyduckyducky in a high tone, but shaking food out at the same time is what really gets them coming....
    -Banti

Last edited: May 26, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by