what would a white leghorn x rir look like?

Naw, I think the pullet is ugly. Waiting to see how well she lays. I'm thinking of crossing the cockerel back to a white leghorn to see what I get.

jmc - do you have RIRs and Leghorns?

i wish there was something a little less chaotic and idiot friendly than that kippenjungle genetics stuff online. i would like to look more into chx genetics but there is nothing available.

unless maybe the huge book poultry breeding and genetics by rd crawford

RIR are eWh wheaten (or eb depending on the line) Columbian restricted(Co) and other genes enhancing the red pigment like Mahogany(Mh)

white leghors are Birchen(ER) Dominant White(I) and other dominant genes like recessive mottling and Sex Link Silver and Barring are also found on white leghorns(production type, could be different on herritage birds)

ER is Dominant to eWh making the Bird almost black(Birchen) then one shot of dominant white(I/i+ i+ is from their RIR parent) will make them almost completely white..

how would they look? almost self white with some ground color leaking.. also with some black spots due to the leaky dominant white..
Did not expect it but as it turned out the rooster i just received, a cross between a Rhode Island Red Roo over a Dekalb white hen does look like a Birchen ER and barred- the unexpected pleasant surprise (which i need for a project) and exactly what nicalandia said. Already asked the seller if the other male siblings have the same pattern and he said all have the pattern.

Is it correct to assume that the Z chromosome being carried by the white hen is double sex linked with both the barring and silver genes together on a single Z, ZBS based on her son's color pattern? Is double linked the correct term? I've never encountered it described as such, compared to a ZB or ZS, only a single sex linked gene attached.

Attachments

• IMG20211026124516.jpg
    IMG20211026124516.jpg
    780.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG20211026124650.jpg
    IMG20211026124650.jpg
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG20211026124727.jpg
    IMG20211026124727.jpg
    881.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG20211026124854.jpg
    IMG20211026124854.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • single Z allele with both bar and silver .jpg
    single Z allele with both bar and silver .jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Did not expect it but as it turned out the rooster i just received, a cross between a Rhode Island Red Roo over a Dekalb white hen does look like a Birchen ER and barred- the unexpected pleasant surprise (which i need for a project) and exactly what nicalandia said. Already asked the seller if the other male siblings have the same pattern and he said all have the pattern.

Is it correct to assume that the Z chromosome being carried by the white hen is double sex linked with both the barring and silver genes together on a single Z, ZBS based on her son's color pattern? Is double linked the correct term? I've never encountered it described as such, compared to a ZB or ZS, only a single sex linked gene attached.

It's not called doubled sex linked as there are multiple genes located on the Z sex chromosome. But the hen is both Sex linked Barred(or one of the multiple sex linked barring allelic mutations like Sex linked Dilution B^Sd or sex linked extreme Dilution) and Silver at the Z locus.

It's not called doubled sex linked as there are multiple genes located on the Z sex chromosome. But the hen is both Sex linked Barred(or one of the multiple sex linked barring allelic mutations like Sex linked Dilution B^Sd or sex linked extreme Dilution) and Silver at the Z locus.
I just coined the term double sex linked since a single z chromosome is carrying two sex linked traits/genes, if a single z is carrying 3 sex linked genes then i'd call it triple sex linked or multiple sex linked if the case may be and just identify which sex linked mutations there are.

This naming convention helps me identify and differentiate for example a rooster that is ZB ZS vs another rooster that is ZBS Z+; both roosters will have similar phenotypes but their Z chromosomes are different. When the two roosters are bred they will produce different outcomes.

For example, when a ZB ZS roo is mated to ...using the punnett square, ZB and ZS will separate while in the double sex linked, ZBS Z+, based on the punnett square, the two Z chromosomes will separate as ZBS and Z+

So for me, calling a rooster double sex linked for barring and silver, means the pair of z sex chromosomes is ZBS Z+ . For the hen if she is silver barred at the same time then there is only one possiblity, ZBS double linked, since hens only have one Z chromosome.

This rooster below is double sex linked silver barred ZSB Z+ not ZS ZB.
IMG20211026124854.jpg

Maybe this discussion regarding the the difference between a ZSB Z+ vs ZS ZB should be in a different thread. ZSB ZSB, ZS ZB, ZSB Z+, ZSB ZS, ZSB ZB.

The personality is going to be a mean schizophrenic that flies over the fence to attack the dog.....(based on my White leghorns and RIRs!)

Back
Top Bottom