What would be a good bird for me?

Arztwolf

Songster
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
SW Texas
So, I've decided in the future I'd like some form of caged bird, I just don't know which one is best for me. When I was in elementary school we had a green parrot (no idea what he was), a Cockatiel (escaped when my dad opened a door while I was at school), several parakeets and a ton of Zebra Finches (accidently got a male and female, the pet store had told us they where female/female.) Green Parrot was the best, but my parents rehomed him when we had to move (mom had depression and we where in bankruptcy, so it wasn't a "we're moving the bird most go" thing.

I understand that all birds make messes (in my life I've owned everything from hamsters to horses, so messes aren't a big deal). Someone is always home, so the bird will not be alone. I will get a hand raised one, since I understand it can be a PITA to tame an untamed adult. I understand about the chemical sensitives (aerosol, etc).

What I need/want:
*Affectionate: I want something I can interact with, so nothing that is basically a feathered goldfish (finches, etc).
*Nothing super loud, a little noise is fine, but not a non stop siren.
*Small to Medium sized, no Macaw's or African Greys.

What do you think would be best?

I agree with ChickenCanoe, parrotlets are adorable and easy to care for. They are also very easy to identify the sex as the males have distinctive blue markings. You could also try lovebirds or budgies. All are very cute and easy to take care of.

I've put myself on an area Parrotlet breeder's weight list and it says they will have some ready to go by late March/early April, so wish me luck!

We have a hand-raised parrotlet, female, about 7yrs old....more or less.

I highly recommend these curious, fairly quiet (as birds go), personable birds. Ours is very attached to myself and her owner (son) but will more or less willingly step up onto the other family members fingers.

Much like a demanding dog, they will try to train you....so be aware. She prefers to ride us on our shoulders or head - but I don't let that happen much, if I can. First, I cannot see where she is and second, it's a sign of domination apparently.

If she's in a different room from us, she's prone to squawking fairly annoyingly. So we have hooks in the rooms where we are the most, so her transportable cage can be with us. She has a large flight cage (4' long x18" wide by 24" tall) that is her night-time home and our 'gotta leave her alone' space. So if we are all away for the afternoon, she has a good window to watch out of and a good size space to hang out in (not her 24" square cage).

The only issue we've had with her is that she prefers to walk on the floor - which is highly dangerous for her! And if she's in a pesky mood, she'll attack toes! (not shoes, just toes) Something else that's weird is that if she hears the rustling of plastic, she goes ballistic! The sound apparently mimics a predator in the leaves which triggers an instinctive call....frustrating if one is trying to unload groceries! We've learned to move her to a different room for her sake and ours.

I know you'll enjoy your new parrotlet! Good luck!

I went on a shopping spree and got: the cage, toys, perches, mirrors, cuddle bone, millet spray and millet holder, water container, bird bath, warm nest/bed thing, cage liner, recycled paper stuff for on top of the cage liner, etc. I also got the best food I could find and some treats. The only thing missing is the fruit, veggies, nail clippers and Parrotlet.

It's 25 X 21 X 22, so not as small as it appears.

Back
Top Bottom