What would be the best treats for chickens

I have is a Browns. They are 3 years old and are still laying. I don't know for sure what food I use, I think I use layer pellets.

Hi all,
I'm just wondering what the best treats for chickens would be.
Cheers.
big_smile.png
smile.png
This time of year, when there isn't much to forage greenery-wise, I give mine a plate of chopped up greens (since they can't rip them off by the roots). Collard, Turnip, Mustard greens, etc.
They go crazy for them.

Last edited:
My girls go nuts for oatmeal. I will throw them a handful and it is gone!
thumbsup.gif
I just use it for a treat, though.

Last edited:
I have 4 copper marans. They are laying every day and eat like hogs. They have layer crumbles 24 hours a day, but I do give them treats once a day......or so.
Their "scratch" is a mixture of corn, blackoil sunflower seeds and oatmeal. They love it, and usually eat the oats/seeds first and then the corn later on.
Lately, I have started putting the scratch in one of those clear plastic containers that strawberries come in. They have holes/slits all over it.
I put about 2 hand fulls of scratch in it, snap the lid closed and let them knock it around the coop. They have figured out the harder they kick at it, the more scratch spills out.
I have seen variations of this with coke bottles. I just had the strawberry container and knew it would work.
I also give them a few mealworms each day as well. We all know how they devour mealworms.
Another treat they like are raisins. They will jump and grab them out of my hand.
I do on occasion give them a bowl of warm oatmeal about an hour before dark. They love it and am sure it keeps them warm when it's really cold.
So, I'd say the oatmeal is their #1 treat if you don't count mealworms. I think they'd eat their weight in mealworms if allowed.

Back
Top Bottom